1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you believe how brilliantly young people have done in their exams?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lalad, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

With apologies to @Duke of York but let's celebrate what they have achieved!

I'll start - my nephew in Liverpool has just got ABB and a place at Newcastle University. He's delighted - we are too but we're more concerned about what sort of accent he'll end up with as we can barely understand him now ;)!

lanokia, colpee, Dodros and 10 others like this.
  2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Great news. Well done him!

Lara mfl 05 and Lalad like this.
  3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Hooray for your nephew! I love hearing a happy story. He'll have a great time at Newcastle.

Lara mfl 05, Lalad and smoothnewt like this.
  4. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

Yes, let’s celebrate their achievements. I can’t bear the young people bashing that goes on in some areas of the media. Well done to your nephew. My daughter got her first choice of university and is also thrilled

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Congratulations to @Lalad's nephew and @Lazycat's daughter.

Some impressive results from my school. Those with the top grades worked hard and deserve congratulating.

Lara mfl 05, blue451, Lalad and 3 others like this.
  6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Mine got 17A/A* grades between year 11 & 13, She wasn't that good at everything.
    Grade inflation is undeniable.

towncryer and monicabilongame like this.
  7. smoothnewt

You’re right of course: she would have needed 17A* grades for that.
    :D

bombaysapphire and Lalad like this.
  8. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

You sound like my mother, who reacted to my daughter's AAAB at A level about 12 years ago with, "Oh dear, what happened in the last one?"

9. smoothnewt

And like my husband last weekend when our daughter told us her mark for her most recent MSc exam was 90%. “Oh dear, what happened to the other 10%?”, he enquired,
    But he was joking, at least.

blue451 and Lalad like this.
  10. LondonCanary

No I sound like. someone who think the results overstate ability. She self identifies as not academic.

11. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

She can self identify as a tasselled wobbegong but that doesn't make her one!

12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Congrats to all.

I went to Newcastle University and came back with my Lancashire accent unchanged. :)

I do love a gentle Geordie accent, though.

emerald52, Lalad and smoothnewt like this.
  13. smoothnewt

So many girls, mine included, underrate themselves. You’d do better to boost her self esteem by celebrating and validating her achievements.

14. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

Congratulations to @Lalad 's nephew and @Lazycat 's daughter! My group of students also did very well - they had all worked extremely hard so their results were very well-deserved.

15. LondonCanary

She doesn't underestimate her own abilities at all. Her career is going very well.

16. afterdark

afterdark Senior commenter

monicabilongame, Lalad and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  17. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Congratulations to your nephew and a warm welcome to Tyneside when he arrives here! Eugenie, the daughter of the actual Duke of York, studied English Lit and History of Art between 2009 and 2012 at Newcastle University, earning a 2:1 in the process.

After going elsewhere for my own first degree, I returned to my home town and qualified as a teacher at Newcastle University School of Education there back in 1971 and completed an MA and an MEd part-time at the same university while teaching full-time during the 1970s and 1980s. Newcastle University is an excellent seat of learning.

bombaysapphire and Lalad like this.
  18. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Congratulations to all! My nephew has just got A*A*AA - we're over the moon. He's off to his first choice of uni and can't wait.

19. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Fantastic - well done to him and his teachers!

20. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

My littlest today got AAB (Bio, Maths, Chem respectively with Ccea) in her AS exams today. She has had an exceptionally difficult year, with only 75% attendance. She took my illness at Christmas very badly, and has been recovering from some poor health herself.
    She had 10 A*s at GCSE, and until now has considered anything less than an A, a fail.
    The most important lesson she learnt this year? Sometimes, life throws you curved balls and when that happens, you just have to do whatever you can to hang in there.
    We really didn’t expect those grades today. She thought she was looking at A,D,C. We are over the moon for her but more importantly, she has finally learnt how refreshing it is, not to compare yourself to other people and accept the situation for what it is.
    September, is the start of a new year and not getting an A, has not resulted in catastrophe!