1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you beat 10 years?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by gigaswitch1, Aug 28, 2016.

1. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

We are going into our 10th year with out a full OFSTED. Can anyone beat that?

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Why is that?

3. gigaswitch1

Not a clue emerald. Our results were good this year, so we are not expecting them this year.

4. accidentalrunner

accidentalrunner New commenter

Have they been yet?

5. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

We are on Year 5 and won't be routinely inspected if 'they' are happy with our results because of the exemption for outstanding schools. However, there is a school down the road that hasn't been done for 10 and one across town that's on 8 years. Both are outstanding and were due when the outstanding exemption came in.

6. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Typical, sounds like all that matters are academic results after one outstanding judgement a decade ago. Never mind the Personal, Social and Emotional holistic side of the school or anything else. It is all or nothing...

slingshotsally likes this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Your school must be outstanding or it wouldn't be like that. I know a school in my cluster who is the same and they wish they could have had OFSTED to validate what they are doing.

8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

they should be careful what they wish for then, why should ofsted validate what they are doing, they are just as likely to fail them, there's often no rhyme or reason to these judgements

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

One near me was last inspected 10 years ago and was deemed outstanding.
    There has been two changes of head since then and the school has a very different ethos now.
    I'd say it is still a fabulous school, as would all the parents with children on waiting lists to get in as well as parents of those in the school, but Ofsted may or may not.
    They are more than happy to carry on regardless of Ofsted and enjoy their freedom.

10. gigaswitch1

Still not been. Have to see if they come next year, really stupid when you think about it.

11. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

How often do 'Good' schools and colleges have an inspection? We were Outstanding and went six years without an inspection. Then we were Good. One area required improvement. There have been a lot of changes since our Good (not all of them improvements) and we are expecting an inspection this year. We expected an inspection last year too.

12. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

"Good" schools are inspected every 3 years in theory - that is the intention. The follow up inspection is initially a short one day inspection with one inspector. However in practice some have gone 4 even 5 years between inspections. If you have RI as one of your judgements I would have thought it would be sooner rather than later.

13. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Actually, one of our 'Good' areas has had a one day inspection and received 'Outstanding'. Another area had a one day inspection and, I think, received 'good' again.
    Our last 'big' inspection was in 2015. The RI area has not been inspected since then - and has got worse!! Could that particular area have a 3 day inspection? It involves a LOT of students over many sites. The results in that area have dropped dramatically since 2015.
    We have also taken over a RI college since our last big Ofsted. An internal inspection found the RI college to be ...RI but recommendations from staff have been ignored.
    Reading my own post I think that Ofsted could arrive any minute. However, this is not my problem. I am on my bike. By the time that the manure hits the air conditioning I will be a dim and distant memory.

14. gadgetgirl123

gadgetgirl123 Occasional commenter

We are coming up to 10 years and previously got Outstanding.

I'm sure they'll turn up soon!