1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you be 'required' in during your holidays if you are primary care giver to child?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ictLad, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is a bit of a reunion for the students, although I don't think that is a sufficient reason for schools holding results days. Perhaps a better approach would be for students to get their results by email and then have the chance to make an appointment to see somebody if they have a problem. That would avoid the trauma of a minority being upset by their results while surrounded by their happier friends.

I was very grateful for the university email when my daughter got her " congratulations, you have a place" before learning she had missed one of her target grades.

agathamorse and Sundaytrekker like this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Nephew went in to school to get his results, as did his equally geeky and oddball friends.
    He said that the teachers that were there were the ones who had taught the year 13s or were SLT.
    He appreciated them being there and had a nice chat with them. (Very quick, he has ASD.)
    20 min drive each way for him as the school is in the middle of nowhere!

I hadn't thought about it being results day and had an appointment to give blood at a community centre in the next village, sited next to the secondary school there.
    Clearly every year 13 from the entire county decided to go in and get results at the exact same time as my blood appointment!!!

However both schools are at the smaller end of normal sized, are in rural areas and are known locally for their caring and nurturing environments. A massive inner city academy might have a very different take on it.

Should you be 'expected' to go in? No, of course not in an employment law sense.
    But I'd expect that, in these days of accountability and greater pastoral care, that HODs would want to if they could.

Piranha likes this.
  3. DexterDexter

DexterDexter New commenter

I thought they were models and not students at any college!!!!

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. notreallyme75

notreallyme75 Occasional commenter

Please tell me where these tiny rural high schools are because I think I need to move there! (Son has SEN) - sorry for jumping on the thread! If you want my two penneth... unless your contract says, nobody should “demand” anything from you in your holidays. However... if being there is something the students would appreciate, I’d be there. Not because I’d been demanded to do so though.

Piranha likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Oxfordshire...and not tiny, just lower end of average.
    Around 900-1000 pupils.
    And yes, very good for those with SEN.

notreallyme75 likes this.
  6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Just to reiterate what was said earlier - what on earth has having children of your own got to do with this? There is no way SLT can demand you go in during the holidays, unless it's in your contract.

7. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Don't forget, whilst jumping in the air"

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Since most students get their results online, and congratulate or commiserate with thier friends over social media, what is the point of having staff in school on results day?

9. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

In defence of staff/students going in on results day - in my experience it is only really A level that is fully geared up to online access - GCSE isn't. My school is 11-16, and I reckon about 95% of pupils come in on results day to collect theirs. All of SLT do, most (but not all) HoDs, and maybe about 50% of other teachers pop in for a bit. It's a nice day.
    However there is never any pressure put on anyone to come in. And lots of staff bring their little ones with them.

10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Yeah..but...the parties! Students went in just to scream and laugh and cry with their friends, and staff, before going out partying all day. I no longer teach A-level/GCSE, but I suppose tey just post stuff to eahc other instead of going out now, don't they?

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So did the OP go in?

DexterDexter likes this.
  12. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

The thread title is starting to annoy me for that reason. Why should someone who does not have such carer duties have a different contract in terms of holidays and free time?
    I know that's not how the OP meant it, but the title is grating.

13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

It's partly about reasonableness as well as one's contractual duties though, isn't it? If the OP didn't have caring responsibilities, they might decide this is not a battle worth fighting, but given that they do, I can see why they might want to take this further...

14. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

Disagree. Those without children are just as likely, perhaps even more likely (for economic reasons), to be away on holiday or travelling over the summer. (Maybe that's a perspective that comes from so long working outside the UK.)
    Why should they be expected to cut short their breaks and travel back for such reasons when other staff are on 'stay at home' holidays?

15. FrankWolley

Results day is towards the end of the holidays, and the OP has been given a year's notice, so I imagine they can work their holidays around that for Summer 2020.

Personally I would take any children I was looking after into school, so as not to incur extra costs...

[Of course I don't see what on earth the point of it is, anyway, & would encourage the OP to take this further...]

16. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

No. I want to do a big trip, Asia, Australia or SouthAmerica. Why should I make it 3 or 4 weeks instead of 5 or 6?
    A-level results were last week. That's cutting quite a chunk off a holiday.

17. FrankWolley

As has been said, under the normal conditions of service, you can't be made to do this unless you are a member of SLT. Of course private schools (& maybe academies?) might have a different contract.

BTW Would you REALLY want to go to Australia or S America in (their) winter? Or Asia in the monsoon season? I wouldn't...;)

18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Having caring responsibilities is beside the point. I think we can all agree.

mothorchid and blue451 like this.
  19. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

The winter in South America can be beautifully warm, dry and sunny, depending where you go. The Atacama desert - and anywhere further north - is perfect in July and August and even at 4000m La Paz, while very cold at night, can be lovely during the day. For much of the continent, the 'summer' months are the wet months.

And most schools only get two weeks holiday in the southern summer which is the clincher for me.

20. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

I go in on results day if I can. Last week I went for A level results. I took my daughter. Had a coffee with colleagues afterwards. It was nice.

The reason I go is to congratulate the students and wish them well. There is no obligation to go and no one is bothered if staff children are there. My daughter was made to feel very welcome and greeted by lots of staff.