1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you be 'required' in during your holidays if you are primary care giver to child?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ictLad, Aug 14, 2019.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Happy to find out but on the first day back in September. Why would it interest me in August when I am on holiday? Being there won't change anything.

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Some HODs go in, some don't as they are away on holiday. You could just say you are away on holiday? Some were missing today. I went in today as a teacher only, enjoyed seeing students again, sharing in their success/happiness, listening to their exciting plans, getting hugs and a thank you. Lovely. Made my heart sing. Even got an invite to a party which I obviously declined! Understand that not everyone wants to do this, these are just my thoughts. And there were staff there with their children including a new born.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Also I only ever did my job. They sat the exams. It wouldn't be MY success. I did my job. But so did the dinner ladies who fed them and the bus driver who got them there in the first place. And their parents.

4. bertiehamster

bertiehamster New commenter

If you are on STPC then you cannot be directed to work outside the 1265 hours over 195 days. If this is formally included in your directed time then you have to go in. If not then they cannot require this. If however you have an alternative contract then this may well not apply.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

HoD time is directed and you cannot be directed during holidays.

Contact your Union.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  6. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

Perhaps the school should count this time against INSET days - They won't of course.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I used to be required to go in on results days, but it was not the Head who told me, it was the Exams Officer. There is a downside to being married to a colleague!

I did actually go in on results days when she wasn't in that job if it suited me. It was a chance to congratulate or commiserate with my classes and offer advice on appeals, retakes etc. But I would have been reluctant to doo so if the Head "required" me to do so.

8. DexterDexter

DexterDexter New commenter

A level students received a text at 8am saying if they’d got their chosen university place. There are loads of hotlines for advice... maybe we should be pushing students to avoid school on results day?! You’ve got a year to persuade everyone that we’re in the 21st century!

9. grumpydogwoman

190 teaching days.
    5 other days.
    Those must be specified.
    Where does it say in your contract that you must be in school on results-day?

Put it another way. Have you done 195 days since 1st September 2018?

10. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I would take your child in if you can’t find childcare. While I personally think they shouldn’t be able to ‘force’ you for in even as a HOD for results (what if you are jetting off for 6 weeks, some teachers do!), I’ve seen many a colleagues offspring in school in my time on these days. Weirdly it might benefit your kid as they will see what they face down the line earlier than most!

11. scienceteachasghost

I’m in 2 minds.......yes the technology is there but the going in and seeing how your friends have done is a rite of passage.

12. scienceteachasghost

Lastly I’ve seen results day is a very different beast in different schools, as an over keen NQT I came in on the day and spoke to a few students but it felt clear it was a bit of a HODs and SLT only thing. I never came in to another one as a teacher.

13. grumpydogwoman

I can assure you that many of us "on the spectrum" had no desire to know what our "friends" had achieved. Mostly because we didn't have and didn't want any.

I left school on 12th July in 1973. That was the end of that era. My results came in the post.

What people seem to regard as a tradition of going to school to pick up results is fairly recent as far as I can see. And, in rural areas, you just wouldn't. I'd have had to go 15 miles up the A41. And the staff would have had to have been there whereas they'd all have been in Greece or doing something that interested them.

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I also did my GCEs in 1973. I was on holiday with my grandparents and had to phone (from a phone box) to our next door neighbour's house (we didn't have a phone) so my mum could read the grades off the sheet that had arrived i the post that day!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I was inter-railing around Europe with three friends in 1975 after our A levels. The actually day results came wasn't known (at least to us) and we just knew we'd get a letter in the post. We thought we'd be back in time, but when we got to the first person's house, the envelope was on the floor with the rest of the post. We went on to the next person's - her results were already there & she opened them. At this point I asked to phone my parents..sure enough the results had come the day before and my parents had already opened it!o_O So I learned my results down the phone! :rolleyes:

PS No-one went to school unless they had a problem they wanted to discuss...

16. DexterDexter

DexterDexter New commenter

It’s all on their Instagram posts!

17. grumpydogwoman

Why would you want to see your teachers? I had the best teachers you could possibly have but I was the one who took the exams. I'm sure I bade them a respectful farewell when I left but they'd said all they had to say.

Teachers are not needed. If you need help with clearing then speak to UCAS. If you think you might appeal then it can wait until September! It's all part of this wretched hand-holding. Might just as well be child-minders!

18. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I don't think the bit about caring for a child is relevant. If it is in your contract, which it should not be if you are under STPCD and not on the leadership scale, but might be if you are not, then you have to go in. If not, you don't. In a school where there is a bit of give and take, as there was at mine, then people might be prepared to go in to help, but that is not the same as being forced to.

I am not sure that the debate about whether teachers might want to go in is relevant. Given that I live near the school where I worked, I was happy to go in when it suited me, and I quite enjoyed seeing my students again, sometimes for the last time. I know others don't feel the same, and I would not argue with that. But this thread is about whether you can be told to go in, not whether you actually want to.

19. grumpydogwoman

The answer has been crystal from the start.
    No.

Unless you expressly signed up to do so.

20. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Oh but you have to give all the posh white blonde girls hand-fanning tears and hugging each other the opportunity to be photographed for the local press