1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you be performance managed on leadership roles for which you are given no extra time?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MonstieBags, Oct 12, 2018.

1. MonstieBags

MonstieBags Occasional commenter

I am RE lead, PE lead and lead in two projects (Word Power and No more marking) which both involve a hell of a lot of admin. I am nan NQT plus one this year and am being paid M2. I have no extra PPA time bar the normal afternoon and wondered if I should be in a position where I am being performances managed on leadership roles for which I have received no extra PPa or salary?
    Getting a bit overwhelmed and wondered

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Depends what the agreement was when you agreed to do these roles. If you are not a line manager for other staff then you are known as a subject leader. No TLR. No extra time. Speak to your LM about workload and how to manage it. Don't suffer in silence. Ask for support if you need it.

3. clbills

clbills New commenter

I would ask as part of the pergperform management process what time will ve given. Pe has a large amount of funding that if you are responsible for needs managing but also can be used to cover the cost of supply for you to get leadership time. Obviously you will have to show the impact of your time.

I would expect some time each term for RE in line with school expectations. Do they want lessons observed? Do they want work scrutiny or pupil interviews? Does planning need looking at? Ask questions and then what time you will get

agathamorse likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Welcome to the world of primary schools. None of the roles you mention would come with more time or money in most schools. (Though I'm not sure exactly what Word Power is, it sounds like something to do with reading or spelling).

Spend your time sorting the No More Marking project and then you'll have heaps more time available to you.

5. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

I'm interested in the no more marking.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

That's easy...you just don't mark books anymore. ;)

(Though swapping it for 'huge amounts of admin' seem a bit pointless...)

7. MonstieBags

MonstieBags Occasional commenter

The no more marking project does not mean no more marking. It is a project aimed at changing the way final moderation of wrtiting in year 6 is done. In reality, it means a lot of admin creating barcoded paper ( special number for each student) on which the child then writes. The barcoded work is then scanned in to a web site from where it can be shared by all the schools who have signed up. The staff at those schools then judge one piece of work against another until all the pieces of work have been ranked. This will give a top middle and bottom - working above, working at, working below etc against which you can check your teacher judgement made during moderation. So this is a project involving a lot of work by year 6 teachers with no extra time and actually a lot of your own time judging and ranking when you could be marking and planning. t
    Although I agree that external moderation is farcical - I am feeling very worn down by the amount of my own time that I am being expected to just donate for free. If I worked at Tesco - I wouldn't be turning up for free. GGRRRHH!

Fluffy_Koala likes this.