1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you be ordered to go off sick?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by mastercap, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am posting under a new name for this.
    I have been diagnosed as suffering depression, and a couple of weeks ago had my drug dose doubled.
    I was called to a meeting with the head at the end of the week, and was sent home, and told to self certificate for all next week. I am unhappy at this, as the causes of my depression are home not school related, and the doctor agreed that I did not need to take time off, and that it would probably exacerbate the situation..
    Can the head do this, and what should I do. I have a call into the union, who will get back to me on Monday, but I do not like unsettled issues - when I can get them settled, IYSWIM.
    TIA

2. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I've been told before that if the head felt it necessary I could be subject to a medical suspension until I got a doctor to agree I was stable and fit to work.

3. Thanks for the replies.
    Today has been sooooo boring; I hate having nothing to do- I even look forward to term starting.
    I see no way the underlying issues will be resolved - a mixture of grieving and regretting past choices, and which cannot be undone. As an NQT, with a career change behind me, I want to make teaching my career, but being on a 1 year contract, with a family to support, the insecurity of employment for next year, on top of all these other issues is getting worrying. THe teaching isn't causing any of my depression, and yet I have been told to self-certify for a week - but am struggling with that as I do not believe that I am not well enough to go in - and nor does my doctor.
    I will go back this week to the doctor's to see what she says in the light of this, and I am seeing a counsellor, so will just have to wait and see what happens.
    Thanks again.

4. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Whilst the teaching isn't the cause it is unlikely the head would want to pay for supply cover unless there was a reason. Hve they referred you to OH?

5. Still bored :(
    But my wife has persuaded me to just trear it as an extra holiday, and is actually pleased that I have a few days of total rest. Visited a friend who has a day off for a coffee, and talked to another on the phone; and sorted some NQT paperwork.
    Just need to get my head round everything.
    PS They have not referred me to OH (yet).
    Thanks

6. Seen the doc today, who has given me some pills for my stress tension headaches, and signed me off for another week - he asked if I was feeling 100%, and I had to say no between 60 and 90, to which he said I shouldn't think of going back yet.
    I am sure he is right, but not looking forward to another week of boredom.
    Sorry to keep posting, but it gives an outlet for things.
    Just told the wife on the phone that I'm off for another week, and she was not happy about it. :(
    MC

7. Feeling less negative today :)
    Wife still is unhappy that I have a second week off, as she thinks that I am ruining my chances of a job due to a poor sick record; however I need to get better, and pass the NQT year.
    MC

8. Well it seems that the Union thinks I will get an extension, but they
    think the school will not want to keep me on, so I'll have to find
    somewhere else. Don't want to leave the school, and can't aford to be
    out of work; and I have givenup so much to make this a career.Don't know what to do :(
    Totally different to what they were saying just a few weeks ago - the first I heard that they did not want me to stay was last week, and they haven't said anyting to me. Apparently I have not even been invited to the meeting!!!!!!
    Am going to give Teachers Support line a call, because I am starting to feel that nothing I do can go right, and why bother :(

9. Well, since then there has been a meeting with County, the school, my
    union - BUT I WAS NOT ALLOWED to attend - which culminated in being
    told that I would fail.
    Accordingly after negotiations I have now resigned, with three months extra pay and an agreed reference.
    Still very unhappy with my treatment by them, but now need to find a new job - meanwhile back to supply :)
    Positivity is the way forward (if I can find any :( )

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Sorry to hear this mastercap but I just wanted to say that I have known other people go through similar and find another job to complete their NQT year.
    You haven't failed and you have an agreed reference, both of which are positive. Your priority now needs to be giving yourself time to recover fully.