1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you be director of a company *and* f/t teacher?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Gavster77, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Gavster77

Gavster77 New commenter

Hi all! I think there’s a “moonlighting” rule that English schools enforce (or maybe I’m just recalling an old Grange Hill episode where a teacher is a barman at night then sacked).

However I now count three faculty heads and two deputy heads are directors or office bearers with companies ranging from a window cleaning business to a dance school.

Are they breaking any gtcs rules?

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

No, as long as the HT knows. They can do it, but they can't do it secretly

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I don't know anything about GTCS rules but in England people are often listed as Directors of small companies but aren't actually carrying out any work, they aren't an employee of that company. The Deputy Head who is a director of a window cleaning business is unlikely to go out cleaning windows himself after school.

4. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

Nothing to stop you doing anything else as long as it doesn't interfere with your ability to teach, which is only a 35-hour week job, remember.

Freddie92 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  5. aypi

aypi Established commenter

I was a director of something my sister was doing, the total of my work was signing the form to say I was a director.

Gavster77 likes this.