1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you be a great mum and a great teacher?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by jemmavause, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Hi all

Due to start my gtp in September and getting a little anxious about fitting it all in. My daughter is 18 months old and will always be my first priority. How do you all cope? Do you find your head supports you to create a work/ life balance?

Jem

2. Hey guys, thanks for your responses. Great to see that there are others in the same boat. I want to get a few years teaching in before I think about another!
    My head seems really family friendly so that will be good- she has 3 of her own.
    I work 30 hrs a week at the min so it will be a big change. I am doing this for my families future though so I'll have to keep reminding myself of that next year. It is hard not to feel guilty!

X

3. Hi, I just wanted to share my experience with you because I hope it helps. I changed careers this year to become a teacher and I have 2 children both under 4. I must admit this year has been really difficult, eventhough I consider myself to be really organised, highly motivated and focused person - most of September I was a jibbering wreck!! Nevertheless the end is in sight now, and I can see the advantage of all those lovely long summer holidays playing with my kids. Just remember why you are doing it. Make sure you get as much support as possible from your tutors and mentors as possible.

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I went back to work full-time when Cariadlet was 7 months old - I'm lucky that Mr C's parents only live a few minutes walk away, and were keen to look after their only grandchild.
    I reckon I'm a pretty good teacher and mum, but Mr C would probably say I'm a pretty **** girlfriend. I can't do any school work until Cariadlet's gone to bed, so work late most nights. Weekends are divided between shopping, catching up on housework and playing with Cariadlet, apart from Sunday evening which is a school work night. A 2 day weekend goes far too quickly.
    Poor old Mr C reckons he's way down on my list of priorities, at least during term-time.

5. learningyoghurt

learningyoghurt New commenter

Tbh my thinking has got as far as "Can you be a mum and a teacher?" full stop (I'm not able to even contemplate aspiring to anything other than mediocre at either). So this has been comforting to read - thank you [​IMG]

6. Does your school support you as a parent or do you always feel as though you don't do enough? My LO will always come first x

How many hours a week do you work?