1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you be a good teacher as well as a mum?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by MableStarr, Nov 1, 2011.

1. I'm struggling too - and at the moment I feel like being a mum comes second :-(
    I was teaching for a year, then went off on mat leave, and then have been back at work full time since june. The past few weeks have been a nightmare. There is a lot of pressure at work, marking, planning etc, and I thought I was keeping on top of it all - but turns out that there is still a lot more I need to do!!
    I am thinking that perhaps I would manage better if I worked part time but at the moment that is not really an option.
    Sorry for all the negativity, but that's how its going for me now. I do however think you can be a good teacher and a good mum but as someone else mentioned you will need to cut some corners along the way. xx

2. I think most of the time I am both a good mum and a good teacher. But sometimes it comes down to a choice of which is more important (purely due to not being able to do everything in the 24 hours available in the day), and I choose being a good mum every single time.
    I am currently being a less than perfect teacher, as my lo is not well and not sleeping properly. So while I am still going to work and teaching my classes, the lessons are not planned as they would have been pre-baby, and 2 classes have had their books handed back unmarked this week. I don't cut too many corners on a daily basis (I try not to cut any corners but I'm not superwoman), but when times get tough we all have to prioritise.

3. Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling! New commenter

Thank you for all the honest replies, I was kind of hoping I'd get lots of comments about how it's possible but I know I need to be realistic. We already have a cleaner and I think the next thing I need to sort out is a weekly menu so I can food shop online. I've been meaning to set that up since I started maternity but can't face that first time when you have to type everything on! My little girl is generally very good and sleeps through although she has just started teething and we are both sick at the moment so not getting as much sleep as we used to :( I suppose I'll just have to be very organised and accept I can't do everything like I used to!

4. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

I once read on here that being a mother means accepting you are going to be Satisfactory. That included mothers who had previously been outstanding before children. You just have to be realistic and prioritise your own child and home life. I am standard most days but can pull it out of the bag when needed.