1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you apply for both primary and secondary through gtp and pgce?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Reb_Sta88, Jan 15, 2012.

1. I have a degree in dance and hoped to go straight on to PGCE to teach this at secondary level. This however hasn't gone to plan. On my second attempt to apply for the PGCE course, I got on the reserve list (Had a chat to some others who had got on it, and some had been on reserve the previous TWO years)!! I have also applied to a GTP provider to do secondary dance (long shot as I know dance isnt considered a priority).
    I have been working as a freelance dancer and teacher in both primary and secondary schools for the past year and a half, and I actually think I enjoy working with the primary students more!! I have alot of primary class experience as my aunty is a foundation stage teacher, so I have lots of general classroom experience. Is it possible to apply to do both primary and secondary to the same GTP proivder? (merseyside and cheshire). Considering my degree is in dance? I do have A level English (amoungst others) and Grades A*-C GCSE's in english maths and science.
    I do love teaching both, and I know my degree is probably most suited to secondary, but I have more experience with primary and I really enjoy working with this age group.
    Any help is much appriciated!

2. I have a degree in dance and hoped to go straight on to PGCE to teach this at secondary level. This however hasn't gone to plan. On my second attempt to apply for the PGCE course, I got on the reserve list (Had a chat to some others who had got on it, and some had been on reserve the previous TWO years)!! I have also applied to a GTP provider to do secondary dance (long shot as I know dance isnt considered a priority).
    I have been working as a freelance dancer and teacher in both primary and secondary schools for the past year and a half, and I actually think I enjoy working with the primary students more!! I have alot of primary class experience as my aunty is a foundation stage teacher, so I have lots of general classroom experience. Is it possible to apply to do both primary and secondary to the same GTP proivder? (merseyside and cheshire). Considering my degree is in dance? I do have A level English (amoungst others) and Grades A*-C GCSE's in english maths and science.
    I do love teaching both, and I know my degree is probably most suited to secondary, but I have more experience with primary and I really enjoy working with this age group.
    Any help is much appriciated!

3. Hi
    It is possible to apply for both primary and secondary courses at the same GTP provider, however this does not always reflect well on the applicant. Applying for both primary and secondary courses can suggest to the course provider that an applicant is undecided about the age-range they would like to teach, and therefore may not be as dedicated or committed as they could be.
    Having a degree in dance should not prevent you from successfully applying for a primary teacher training place. Course providers would look for applicants interested in teaching at primary level to provide evidence of a general knowledge of the three key elements of the primary curriculum (English, maths and science), however other skills gained when completing a degree are also taken into account.
    It is worth keeping in mind that once you have completed a course of initial teacher training (ITT) and have gained Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) you would be qualified to teach at both primary and secondary level without needing additional qualifications. This means you could always change from dance to primary (or vice versa) at a later date.
    I hope this information is useful, and I wish you the very best in your teaching career.