1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can white caster sugar replace golden caster sugar...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by FoundationStage!, Aug 19, 2011.

1. ... in a brownie recipe? I am hosting a BBQ tomorrow for 20 friends and trying to not spend a fortune. This is one of the desserts as well as an apple traybake I prepared - and ate lots of - yesterday and two shop bought cakes I have stored in the freezer ("Not suitable for home freezing")
    [​IMG]
    I have a brand new bag of normal caster sugar in the cupboard but would it adversely effect my results? The link to the recipe is below.
    Also, can I use a rectangular pyrex dish rather than a square tin?
    I may be tight but I have a general "waste not, want not" approach to cooking and food in general. Your suggestions are welcome but please bear in mind I am less than a week from payday!
    Thanks.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/402625/fudgy-coconut-brownies

2. ... in a brownie recipe? I am hosting a BBQ tomorrow for 20 friends and trying to not spend a fortune. This is one of the desserts as well as an apple traybake I prepared - and ate lots of - yesterday and two shop bought cakes I have stored in the freezer ("Not suitable for home freezing")
    [​IMG]
    I have a brand new bag of normal caster sugar in the cupboard but would it adversely effect my results? The link to the recipe is below.
    Also, can I use a rectangular pyrex dish rather than a square tin?
    I may be tight but I have a general "waste not, want not" approach to cooking and food in general. Your suggestions are welcome but please bear in mind I am less than a week from payday!
    Thanks.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/402625/fudgy-coconut-brownies

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Yes and yes. Chill out and enjoy your day. It will all work out fine. They say it's going to be nice, weather-wise.

4. Thank you! Being 20 weeks pregnant renders me completely indecisive! The sun is shining here too!
    [​IMG]

5. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Make sure you line your pyrex dish!

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Re what sugar to use: I prefer white sugar since it leaves the original flavour more intact. Mr inky [whose mother originates from Berlin] likes loads of extra flavourings such as cinnamon and cloves and brown sugar. That's fine if you're condemned to using eating apples with no interesting sharpness.
    English cooking apples require nothing more than white sugar. It's the taste of the apples that counts.

Then, if you're lazy, bring on the VERY HOT AND SWEET Bird's custard! Sweet and sour - yum yum yum.

7. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

apples in brownies?!