1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can we talk about John Luther "Johnny" Mercer?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by harsh-but-fair, Apr 24, 2019.

1. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

A company that marketed a failed bond scheme that lost savers £236m has been funding an MP's private salary.

Johnny Mercer receives £85,000 from Crucial Academy, a company ultimately funded by Surge Financial Limited. Mr Mercer, himself a former Army officer, is contracted to work four hours per week, a rate of more than £350 per hour.

He was the subject of criticism in July 2018 after he choose to appear in Celebrity Hunted, a Channel 4 television programme where participants go on the run and images are released of them so people can try to track them down, rather than attend his work in Parliament. Whilst appearing on the programme, he missed the meeting of the Health and Social Care Committee, which he is a member of, shortly before Parliament broke up for the summer recess. Mercer defended his decision, via a Channel 4 statement, arguing he had used his position to raise money for charity and had brought his parliamentary roles into filming.

Mercer employs his wife as a part-time Office Manager on a salary up to £30,000.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-47884273
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Mercer_(politician)

He sounds like a lovely man.

nomad likes this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Established commenter

I expect the BBC will apologise later today.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

MPs should not be permitted to received any other salary.

"Surge Group Limited and Surge Financial Limited are both owned by Paul Careless"

What a remarkably appropriate name for a failed bond scheme marketing agent!

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

This.

The "consultancies" and "executive" positions are most troubling as they give the impression that the MP's are contributing something far beyond what work they actually do in the few hours for which they are employed that may stem from the privileged position and access to information and influence in their role as an MP. The state of housing costs and availability in this country and the number of MPs who are landlords or involved with property in some other capacity comes to mind.

Beyond this, they should be held accountable for what they do or don't do. Time they spend on constituency matters for instance. He should meet the same penalties for going on a tv programme instead of turning up to work as would anyone else in public service who did this.

If there isn't the work to be done, then cut their salary accordingly.

5. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

If someone is paying me £350.00 per hour I'm either an astronaut or something is very wrong.

6. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

It was very interesting watching him on Celebrity Hunted. Firstly, having been paired up with Kay Burley, he quickly abandoned her to attend parliamentary business (if I recall correctly). I actually found myself feeling sorry for Kay Burley - not something I ever imagined. Clearly not a team player, he and Kay eventually parted company and she was then caught by the hunters.
    He then showed himself to be very cocky: as an ex-soldier he believed the hunters were no match for him, and he decided to deliberately goad them. When he was caught fairly early on, due to his arrogant assumptions, it made for satisfying viewing. Having had no prior knowledge of his existence before this programme, I was very surprised to see his name appear in recent times as a potential future leader of the Tory party.
    AJ Pritchard, a dancer from Strictly, on paper a far less likely candidate to succeed, managed to outwit the hunters and gain the prize. (largely because he was not an arrogant nob.)

nomad and Startedin82 like this.
  7. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

There seems to be a common theme of ex-military people, whether the regular army or the TA, being idiots, or unscrupulous.

I wonder if they simply weren't good enough to stay in the military, or if the military appeals to idiots from the outset, or something else.

I welcome any suggestions...

8. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

A few bad apples...….Dan Jarvis, Labour MP for Barnsley is an ex army major and seems like a good sort.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Yes I would agree with you. He is also the mayor of South Yorkshire.

nomad and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  10. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

MPs should receive a basic salary and expenses only. MPs should serve for one set term - two years max. No one should be able to make a lifetime career from politics. MPs should be chosen from the general population, like jurors, and like jury duty, being an MP should be seen as an irksome but necessary civic responsibility.

11. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

A sweeping, spiteful generalisation. Maybe the issue is politicians...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48022800

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-48043792

Happygopolitely likes this.
  12. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

A sweeping generalization yes, but it wasn't my intention to be spiteful.

nomad likes this.
  13. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Maybe the issue is what we allow MPs to get away with? I think it's time their employment practices are brought into line with other peoples'.