1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can we only recruit new teachers by lying?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by JL48, Jan 12, 2020.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

2. bedknob

bedknob New commenter

Unfortunately, the main stream papers deny the truth from being revealed to the masses.

3. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

4. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

sorry - I don't speak millennial :oops:

peter12171 likes this.
  5. geraldbeattie

geraldbeattie New commenter

It is only slightly worse than car manufacturers adverts extolling the virtues of their vehicles despite the reliability issues, adverts for the helpful and informative equity release adverts and a few years ago cigarette adverts, despite the even then links to lung cancer. Just because it advertises a teaching utopia that only a lucky few teachers have ever seen, it does not mean it is true for the vast majority of us. Hopefully, potential teachers will see past this Balamory style teacher and their ideal students to remember what their own schooldays were actually like, warts and all. They will hopefully treat the advert like an edition of the Beano with the Bash Street Kids, and have a good laugh at it, before moving on.

phlogiston likes this.
  6. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

I watched the video. I want to work in that alternate reality.
    And yes, of course we have to lie to recruit teachers. If teaching was a good job, there wouldn't need to be adverts. The problem they have is that it appears that word has got out about how awful it is.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The forces go large on foreign travel, the acquisition of skills and the excitement of fixing big technical devices. They neglect the long periods away from family, the nasty people trying shoot or bomb you or the sergeant major expecting instant compliance.
    No matter which brand of detergent I use, some stains still won't wash out. Mrs P is still waiting for the exciting visitors after her Badedas bath, the box of Milk Tray didn't result in the young lady leaping into my arms...
    Some of the teaching ad stuff does stretch the old credibility though.

Shedman and agathamorse like this.