1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can we not just have one teacher application form [or two]?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lanokia, Nov 26, 2015.

?

Should we have two teacher job application forms?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So I'm applying for jobs and sheesh I am getting pretty sick of filling out the same information but on different forms. Wouldn't it just be simpler to have one form [or two, one for primary and one for secondary]?

Or am I missing some deeper logic here?

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

If we had a more unified national system (as in some other countries) then we'd have this. But as we are going down the route of fragmentation, there are bound to me more types of forms...

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Only it should just be one.

Your 'personal statement' is where you show your suitability so I don't see why two forms are necessary.

To HELL with it all. One soddin' form.

I feel your pain. I know I'm out of it now but I remember. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lanokia likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well sure, the personal statement would seem to cover your suitability though a CV would be a good addition... I could e-mail those off pretty swiftly [an hour to edit my statement to fit the specs etc]

Sure, there is the equality page as well that seems to be standard now. But really it's just such an overly complex bag of *****...

5. MineField

MineField New commenter

I'm currently applying for teaching and non-teaching jobs.

Non-teaching jobs: send in CV with covering letter - takes about half an hour to tweak CV/covering letter/change names of company/director etc, and check it over.

Teaching jobs: at least 3 hours sometimes more, because a whole new form has to be filled in every time! It's just so typical of teaching in general. The attitude of HTs seems to be "why let a teacher get away with only spending 30 minutes on something, when we can force them to spend 3-4 hours on it"

They seem to have the same attitude towards marking and planning.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well my supply agency just got me an interview at a school... and now I'm filling in more forms!

The agency have my CV, they have a form I filled in for them... but now I have 3 more forms to fill in for this new place.

Jesus this job is drowning in bureaucracy!

JRiley1 and RedQuilt like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Best of luck!

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Two schools I applied to insisted on hand-written personal statements, so I couldn't even cut and paste and then edit! I agree with the idea of one application form, but doubt that many Heads would be prepared to accept one, as most think that their way of doing things is best.

9. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

That's just silly. I seen one application that required the personal statement and the covering letter to be handwritten as well word-processed copies. Some Heads are so far up their own bottoms that they can see dentine on the horizon.

needabreak likes this.
  10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Basic information should be common to all forms. The only thing you need to add, surely, is the updated employment information.

The personal statement and required/desirable qualities and experience, is what gets you the interview (or not.)

11. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Schools drowning in bureaucracy? Don't be silly!!! ;-)

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Complicated forms, forms where the boxes are the wrong size, forms wanting the information in different orders or different ways . . .

It's murder for you all!

But if you want advice on writing that killer application letter or supporting statement, as well as having the mysteries of the E.S. revealed, come down to Jobseekers and ask me!

Best wishes

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Argh so I'm filling one in and trying to balance the previous employers with the dates and the role and stuff, five columns, all moving up and down, can't format, just pressing enter and hoping they balance!

Who designs these things?!? Nazis!

14. drek

drek Star commenter

Who produces those migraine inducing forms?
    People who have no training, were promised training and support to do the job of someone who is admin qualified but is now too 'expensive'. If you can log onto a computer you can claim to be an ICT expert. If you can count to 10 you can teach Math, if you can sing in the shower, you can teach music eh?
    If you went to school with a minister, you can run a free school.
    Isn't that how public services work today? if you are skilled and experienced, you can be labelled useless by someone who is neither! Well apart from possessing a ' management title' or 'inspector' title of some sort, acquired in rather dodgy circumstances!

15. JRiley1

JRiley1 Established commenter

Some schools ask for lots more than just an application form. When applying previously I remember one place asking for a full on letter answering question upon question of how do you do this that & everything!! I didn't bother applying as it would have taken so long to fill all that out! I agree one form would make it so much easier, but think situation is getting worse as every academy now has their own forms...

16. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Would make sense, but what happens when you've got certain jobs that have specific requirements than others?

17. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@jago123 My LA have this issue all sewn up, amazingly.

Candidates register with the LA recruitment website, complete one generic application form and then when you find a job on the website you wish to apply for you just tweak the personal statement and attach any accompanying documents (such as an Executive Summary that matches the job description ;)) and fire off the completed form online. Obviously, it's up to candidates to ensure their details are kept up-to-date on the website, but it certainly streamlines the whole process.

18. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

The problem for me, in the days when I was applying for jobs, was that I live in an area where I could easily travel to six, or more, LA areas, so form filling was a nightmare.

Plus a rather long-winded job history!

My sympathies to all currently going through this application form rigmarole.

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

But surely the LA doesn't cover academies *spit*? Let's say you were applying for an *spit* academy? Would they not each have a different form?

And in London? Lots of different boroughs? Yes, or where I live. I could easily be applying for 3 different authorities.

And it's the same information on every form. EXACTLY THE SAME INFORMATION!!!!