1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can we get lost files back?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Chull, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Chull

Chull New commenter

My husband has been an idiot. He has spent all holiday (he goes back to work tomorrow) writing an essay. He has done about 4000 words. He came to tell me his memory stick was not working inhis laptop, could he try it in mine. it does not work in mine either. Never mind I said, you can borrow mine. That is not the problem. he has not saved his essay onto the computer, only the memory stick! He was workig on it beofre lunch, shut the computer down, did not save file onto the computer (apparently, it takes too much time to save it twice.) Now the stick won't work.
    I now have two questions:
    1. Is there anywhere you can take a memeory stick that does not work and get your files back? Stick looks physically fine but is not recognised by PC.
    2. Is there any way of getting the unsaved file back on the laptop.

I am unreasonably annoyed about this. My mum is looking after my little boy so husband and I can both get some work done and now I feel obliged to sort his problems out. My own planning appears not to matter.

Thanks for your help

2. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

He must be so delighted to be so lovingly supported. I suspect he did it just to ruin your day. Selfish man x

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

sometimes on word it does an automtic save if you just close down or the computer fails.....if you have a heading you can do a search for the title or date......in word of from the search menu for the machine/
    You could look in yur document menu for word in case its hiding under a codr number rather than a title.
    you could try the rubbish bin and open it up and see if its there.
    or you could put stick in and see if it can be searched via your compyer.....you wil have to click onto its drive number
    There are online software but im unsure what it is called.....on e of the others might be able to help..o even a computer shop.store which might do it for a fee.
    Always the rule to kids...start typing...save the document and click save every few paragraphs..... I learnt that the hard way when i accidently deleted a 5000 word thsis......never ever did it again as the resultant work was not a patch on the one id done and lost.

4. As others have suggested but you could also try going into 'My computer' right click on the memory stick folder and click 'explore' instead of open.... that works with me when my memory stick fails

5. Chull

Chull New commenter

Thankyou for your help, I am currently trying all your ideas.
    I can see the point from the sarcastic post about him being a selfish man. However, I am trying to sort the problem whilst he watches tv. Is he doing my work for me? No. Is he doing the house work? No.

6. I'd tell him that unless he makes some effort (at the very least in the form of a cup of tea) his essay is as good as gone cause you're not doing it for him.

Having said that, I'm hardly Ms Assertive with men as my posts prove....

7. If you have no luck with that, try the Zero Assumption Recovery programme.
    download for free from here http://www.z-a-recovery.com/
    very simple to use - I've even recovered stuff from dead floppys before!!

Then make him wash up after dinner [​IMG]