1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Can we be told how to plan ?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mathmo, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Recently had a roasting from my DHT because planning was not publicly available (on our network) for the Thursday of the week prior to it being taught. I understand this is school policy but I had spoken to my year group partner, explained I needed to sit down and properly think about the sequence fo teaching I was going to plan and woudl e-mail it to her over the weekend - fine she said. Would my DHT rather it be rushed and not as good as it could be. Here I am - again - planning on a Sunday morning to ensure my planning and therefore learning are the best they can be. Does anyone else have these rules ?
    Also, can we be told how to plan, i.e what format to use, what questions to include in our planning, that we MUST highlight SEN and Thinking SKills links in a ceratin colour to make it easier for people to monitor ? We have to but I am sure that I have read schools cannot make teachers plan a certain way unless practice has been identified as inadequate.
    Cheers

2. The NUT recently issued some advice re planning if you search their website you will find it. If you want a copy inbox me and I will email it to you if you want.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://www.teachers.org.uk/node/5696

4. Useful but based on what ?

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

The NUT emphasises that a school can not be required by OFSTED or anyone else to have a particular form of planning and that written planning is not a legal requirement.
    The school can most definitely require you to submit planning in any form and at any time it chooses. It is then up to the staff as a group to offer their views on those requirements - if they are felt by many to be unreasonable, a reasonable/sensible management will listen, learn and promote a cooperative professional process of discussion and review, an insecure/weak management will try to shut you up.
    Try to get your colleagues on board, if yours is the only head sticking up above the parapet it is more likely to be shot off.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Your employer can require you to plan in whatever way they wish.