1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can we be anarchists and still teach is state schools?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mathsteach2, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

Happy New Year everyone, I'm back!
    Throughout my teaching career I have maintained my brand of anarchism (Tolstoy and Paul Feyerabend) within my thoughts, if not always my actions in the classroom. I survived for 40 years, and now live on my pension. To what extent are we compromising our beliefs by teaching in state schools, or should we all (that is us anarchists) give it up, perhaps go private progressive, or just simply work in adventure playgrounds because of our interest in kids?
    I have to admit, even though I hold no regrets because I enjoyed every moment in the classroom, that perhaps I ought to have pulled out of state education and done something really radical. Any experiences, anyone?

Sir_Henry likes this.
  2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I'm still an anarchist (good word that, not so loaded as "terrorist, but used to mean the same thing, the "seige of Sidney Street" of 1911 would be called terrorist now). I had my moments of telling management how daft and useless they were. They took no notice, they never do. Heads stuck so far up their own ar*es they cannot see reality.

3. Mathsteach2

I have had my moments too, Ivartheboneless, I wrecked a DH's office once when he had caned a boy and cut his hand. Fortunately all of my altercations verbally with SMT never left me in trouble, they all backed off in those days, especially when I quoted Feyerabend to them! When I got fed up I simply changed schools, and explained to my next HT why I wanted to leave the one where I was at. I hope you too managed to survive the nonsense.

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Bit late now, mathsteach, innit.

5. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Why this thread?

Sir_Henry likes this.
  6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Indeed, presumably more of a challenge once you've conformed enough to reach retirement in Barbados.

7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

A better question would be "Can we be Torys and still teach in State schools?

8. needabreak

It assumes we are all anarchists for starters which is at best inaccurate and at worst a massive figment of the OP'ers imagination.

9. needabreak

Or should all public sector employees be forced to vote for a certain political party thereby negating the need for the freedoms associated with democracy?

Photo51 likes this.
  10. Ivartheboneless

Why are you being so nasty? Perhaps your avatar is apt.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

100 years ago they were!

Sir_Henry likes this.
  12. needabreak

Perhaps the absurd nature of behaving poorly then changing jobs is not perceived by most of us as anarchy. Thus we might see the said post as a tad on the side of the obscure rather than illustrating anything anarchical in any way shape or form.

13. needabreak

Are you suggesting we return to the values of 100 years ago? *I am often concerned by posters willingness to give up hard won freedoms and this is one of those times.:rolleyes:

14. needabreak

I expect maths teacher has dozed off... Upon his return, if the thread lasts that long I doubt he'd recognise it.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Presumably when you declare 'I am an anarchist' @Mathsteach2 you opt out of the 'I am an antichrist' clause as per the Sex Pistols anthem, and the passer by is safe from you destroying them?

Another thing - if all property is theft what are you doing with your pension? Spreading it evenly around your anarcho-syndicalist commune one hopes.

vannie, bombaysapphire and needabreak like this.
  16. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

Anarchy is without law (government) and we need it despite not agreeing with them (Tories or whoever is in power) all of the time. If by anarchy you mean individuality then the wording is perhaps wrong. If you do mean being an individual in education, I think education has become more and more prescriptive so the answer would be a resounding no, if this is what is meant by anarchy by you (the OP).

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Anna and Chris... a lovely couple...

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Tolstoy the misogynistic paternalist.

19. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I think Latvian anarchists shooting three policemen dead counted as terrorism even in 1911.

lanokia likes this.
  20. Mathsteach2

Anarchism has credentials, I have been told it can be studied as an optional module in some political science A level courses in the UK. I just wondered whether or not I did the right thing by comprising my ideals so much?
    Tolstoy formed schools for peasant children, Dorothy Day did her bit.
    I did put "us anarchists" in brackets in my OP, intended to indicate I was only interested in the thoughts of those who might be so inclined. Sorry that did not work.