1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can we ask about liners, submarines and pirate ships in the Gulf?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bead, Feb 15, 2011.

1. bead

bead New commenter

SS green is wallowing along at the moment. water level is well above the plimsol line and some new crew will be press ganged shortly while some others are walkin the plank. The pirates aint attackin cos they are too busy pluggin their own leaks and press gangin themselves to worry about plunder.
    The skipper is just keepin an eye out from the bridge whilst the deck officers are nervously walkin the decks with one eye on the lifeboats. The engine room has had a fire, but the props are still turnin albeit erratically.
    on the lower decks, a lot of crew have abandoned ship already before the rising/swirling waters engulf them.
    It was a dark and stormy night at sea.................................................

2. Nice one!
    I guess there's more than enough crew still splicing the mainbrace in that old ship of the desert.
    Is Michael Stipes likely to stay much longer as the lead singer of that merry band?
    Which of the crew have abandoned ship? The young trainees or the old Barnacle Bills?
    I raise a glass to those who deserve to reach a safe haven in a storm.

3. I wish I knew what you guys were talking about!!
    I was worried that the band REM had broken up!!
    now I'm just confused!!
    [​IMG]

4. Shiver me timbers shipmate. Careful what you say! There's plenty of spotters in the rigging.

5. BondStreetBabe

BondStreetBabe New commenter

Celebrating Liberation? Plenty of time to write updates then!

6. tuanjim

tuanjim New commenter

Lifeboats is for lubbers an plimsol lines is for pansies. Ye'll be tellin' us bout yer bikini lines next. Avast behind is wot I sez. An a mighty pair of jugs fer good measure. Or wot would ye sup yer grog out of? I trust ye'll invite this ere ol pirate to the junketins when ye splices the mainbrace.
    X Captain Ananias Tuanjim
    His Mark in Yemenade (the drink of the desert).
    by Royal warrant to the ersatz Kings of Egypt, supplier of Enron shares, Icelandic bonds, duff doubloons and purveyor of pieces of eight, nine, eleven, etc.
    Howzat Pharaoh, ol' shipmate?

7. Dr CO Jones

Dr CO Jones New commenter

Could you change some trebloons for me?

8. No it isn't.
    Eth'n'ade, flasn'nade and sid'n'ade - they're the babies.
    Old Head at our place was looking into a job at this floating monster about 5 years ago. He received the terms - then quickly grabbed his buccaneers (euph.) and shot off.

9. BondStreetBabe

As the Great White Ship will soon be coming in to dock for the end of term 2, are the waters any calmer, we all wonder..?

10. It seems that the new captain is soon to be the ex captain as he couldn't get on with the Admiralty Lords.
    She is now in the midst of a velvet revolution rather than a full blown mutiny and now the crew has to look forward to a new year with the 3 wise monkeys in control. Should be a barrel of laughs!

11. BondStreetBabe

Ahoy there! Are we all happy now?

12. BondStreetBabe

13. bead

bead New commenter

I hear the old SS Salwa Green has finally sunk. Well done those who made it to the lifeboats.

14. Hem, holed below the plimsol line by a guided missile, mutiny on board, lack of trading opportunities or was the junk just scuttled at sea?

Is the Mancunian Mother Ship still sailing in benign waters with the three musketeers at the helm? Has the sheriff of that Nottingham Forest calmed the crew?

15. kate harvey

kate harvey New commenter

Have heard that one member of the crew has already been thrown over board this year!

16. Would that be one of the elder or the more junior officers, or just one of the shipmates who rocked the old boat?