1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Can this one-term post count towards induction?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by merturtle, Apr 20, 2012.

  1. merturtle

    merturtle New commenter

    Thanks for the reply to my previous post. I now have the offer, through an agency, of a teaching job for the coming term, guaranteed a term's length. It was originally offered on an ongoing basis, but I was not keen to take it on as it's a challenging school and involves travel and rearranging my current part time work and childcare - daily supply locally seemed less hassle.
    I might consider it if I can complete another term of my induction (2 terms left to do and very few jobs in my subject area). Looking into it, it says an NQT needs to be registered with the LEA ahead of starting in post, but obviously this job has only just come up and I would be starting next week! Is there a possibility I can get the school to register me and get through another NQT term or is it all too last minute? It's in a different LEA from where I completed my first term.
    I am really concerned about getting through my induction because I work as a peripatetic teacher (where's it's very difficult to to complete induction) and am already on MPS3 (will be 4 in September) so feel I will soon be too expensive to employ in a school as an NQT.
    Thanks again for any advice
  2. PaulDG

    PaulDG Occasional commenter

    My understanding is that the school must register you.
    Doesn't make any difference.
  3. As the post is for at least a term and you have not completed induction then, by law, you must be registered. LAs are used to NQTs taking a post t short notice and then being registered. The Head is responsible for this and must do it ASAP. If you have the paperwork from the original LA then take a copy with you, but again the LA and school should request details from your previous LA. Who you are employed by is irrelevant and the school must provide a reduced timetable and support, just as if you were coming to them on a permanent basis.
    The Sage

Share This Page