1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can they reduce my TLR?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by roadwalker8, May 18, 2019 at 4:06 AM.

1. roadwalker8

roadwalker8 Occasional commenter

Please could I have some advice on the following....

I have received a TLR for being a HoD in a non-core subject for a number of years. Recently, the subject has reduced to just A-level. I have mainly been a 'one man band', occasionally having to line manage the odd colleague who was employed within my subject.
    However, I am now being asked to line manage those in other more minor departments other than my own. I am assuming this is a way of justifying my TLR, which I suspect is the same as colleagues running larger departments. This is something I do not wish to do.

Can I refuse as I am employed as a HoD for a specific subject?
    Can they reduce my TLR if I do not wish to do this? If yes, is my TLR protected for a period of time before it is reduced?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I’d argue its a reasonable request.

Governors can change the TLR yes. And by sounds of it, sorry, in the spirit of fairness, it’d be fair.

I think it’d be protected, but even then, I’m sure that they’d be within their rights to ask you to take on this role.

Truth be told, given the scenario, id line manage these people

JohnJCazorla and strawbs like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you are on STPCD or equivalent conditions governors can remove your TLR but the salary is protected for 3 years. Or they can change its responsibilities. If you say you don't want the new responsibilities you can either resign your job completely or ask to be relieved of TLR responsibilities. In which case salary probably won't be protected - talk to your union. Read up the relevant section in STPCD, from memory it's in the section about safeguarded salaries.

BTW are you're your formal contract of employment, when they issued it after you had started, says you can only be employed as a HoD for a specific department? That's unusual.

JohnJCazorla, strawbs and DYNAMO67 like this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

From STPCD:

35.1. If the total of all safeguarded sums payable to a teacher from time to time exceeds £500, the relevant body must review the teacher’s assigned duties and allocate such additional duties to the teacher as it reasonably considers are appropriate and commensurate with the safeguarded sum, for as long as the teacher continues to be paid safeguarded sums which in total exceed £500.
    35.2. The teacher shall not be paid any safeguarded sums if the teacher unreasonably refuses to carry out such additional duties, provided that the teacher is notified of the relevant body’s decision to cease paying the safeguarded sums at least one month before it is implemented.

The school can remove or lower your TLR, but must safeguard it for three years, with the proviso I have quoted. So, if you refuse to take on the alternative duties, they can reduce your payment immediately, unless it can be shown that the additional duties are unreasonable. What this would mean in your position, I cannot say.

Note that the safeguarding period starts from when notice is given of removal or reduction of the TLR, so it does not appear that it has started yet for the OP. I was once given notice that my TLR would be reduced, but some alternative duties came up later which I could take on permanently, so my TLR never came to an end before I retired.

JohnJCazorla and strawbs like this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

One of the criteria for a TLR1 or 2 is that it involves leading, developing and enhancing the teaching practice of other staff. So I suspect that your old role may not really qualify if you only occasionally had to do any management.

If you have any ambitions to get promoted (and some teachers, quite reasonably, don't) then having more line management experience would be a good thing.

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

See, you’ve already intimated that you are paid the same as larger departments..... in the spirit of fairness you can’t expect to have a department that only teaches at KS5 and keep the same money?

I’d do the line management