1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can they force me...?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by bookcadet, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Please help.

I was off earlier this year for over two months due to ill health, I have almost finished my phased return and am due to have a 'ill health capability meeting'. The meeting was arranged for today but my union rep (from the region not just the school) couldn't make it. They postponed it to next Thursday, which he also couldn't make, and he was surprised because apparently the head knows when he is free.

They have now insisted that I have the meeting on Monday despite him not being able to be there (he is a teacher in another school himself) because the meeting must be arranged within five working days of the original meeting. I'm not sure, I thought I had a right to have a union rep there no matter what?

Can they force me to have this meeting? (My school rep is unavailable and there is no one else)

2. Please help.

I was off earlier this year for over two months due to ill health, I have almost finished my phased return and am due to have a 'ill health capability meeting'. The meeting was arranged for today but my union rep (from the region not just the school) couldn't make it. They postponed it to next Thursday, which he also couldn't make, and he was surprised because apparently the head knows when he is free.

They have now insisted that I have the meeting on Monday despite him not being able to be there (he is a teacher in another school himself) because the meeting must be arranged within five working days of the original meeting. I'm not sure, I thought I had a right to have a union rep there no matter what?

Can they force me to have this meeting? (My school rep is unavailable and there is no one else)

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Is your rep available next Tuesday or Wednesday?
    The Union should be sorting out this dilemma for you and sending someone else if the designated reps are unavailable.

4. You have an absolute right to be accompanied by a union rep. Resist all pressures to attend any meeting without them.

5. Thank you - rep can't do next tue or wed as I'm not there - I'm having a little operation!

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If the school knew your rep's availability and then scheduled a meeting when they knew the rep was not available, they are being obstructive.
    Speak to the regional office of the Union or their national HQ a.s.a.p.

7. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I imagine that the "within 5 days of the original meeting" can be waived by mutual agreement, especially if one of the parties is hospitalised for part of that time.

8. Ah unfortunately it's true that you can be forced to go into the meeting without a union rep if none is available after 5 days. The union should be trying to send someone else though, so chase them up about that. I doubt a head would waive the meeting by mutual agreement, it's in their interest to get you in there without a rep.