1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can they do this?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cat_fanatic, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Hi

We are required to work extra days every year on top of what we work during term time. Previously we have all sat down as a department and discussed the days that we are each available for, taking into account personal commitments etc. Suddenly I find out that next academic year, these days will be 'set', so there goes flexibility....! Yes there was a big hullabaloo before as we couldn't all commit to the same days ( holidays, family matters ) but we pretty much sorted it. My question is, is the school right to disrupt our holidays like this? I'm sorry but, holidays are my time and I should be free to decide if and when I want to leave the country for a while! I do have a holiday booked for October half term, so if any of the set days fall during this time will I come under fire? Surely not, as I had booked it before I found out the above. Besides, there is absolutely nothing in my contract that stipulates these extra days will be pre-arranged! Shall I contact my union rep?? I am quite upset by this.

Any advice greatly appreciated....

2. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

Holidays are unpaid. You are paid for 195 days per year.

My gut feeling is no- surely it is outside the 1265 hours anyway.

I'm sure someone who knows more will me along shortly. Could an academy be different?

Definitely contact the union.

3. Can I add that my contract is term time plus 2 weeks, 5 of which are accounted for in these additional days- so I understand that I must abide by that. The contract says nothing though about exactly when these days are meant to be worked, which is my gripe.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It sounds to me like the non-specificity of your contract means that the school/academy can if they wish - state when these must be.

5. jonnym6

jonnym6 New commenter

This sounds like training days? Very few schools have much flexibilty in when those are set - or is it days in addition to these set training days? Most schools set these days close to school holidays so the children may finish on the Thursday and the training day is the Friday etc. If you have had more flexibility than this in the past it sounds like you have been very fortunate.

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I'm assuming this is an academy/independent/free school, so 195 days doesn't apply. The contract seems fairly clear.

Provided they're sensible about where they place them, it's not unreasonable to specify them, with plenty of notice. Obviously it would be rather unreasonable to put one in each week of the summer, or in one week half-term breaks. If they specify them at least a year in advance, you can plan around them.

For now, if they've just announced them and you already have a holiday booked, I think they'll just have to respect that. (My school once moved a training day - although my flight wasn't until the following day, I pointed out that with a 4am start, I'd been planning to use that day to tidy and pack, so my school agreed to me going home at lunchtime.)

7. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

Sorry, can't help with your dilemma, but I'm struggling to understand why anyone would apply to a school that requires you to work two extra weeks, if indeed this is the case. No wonder the Tories are desperate to force feed academies/ free schools.

8. Mine does. It's an academy but admin, exam and data contracts were the same when it was an LA school. One week is accounted for by training days. I don't do either because my role doesn't necessitate it.