1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can they do this...?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by bookcadet, Apr 29, 2012.

1. I've recently been off sick for over two months. I've come back to school, as a secondary school teacher and they are not allowing me to teach even though OH says I can return to my job. I'm left 'shadowing' and 'team teaching' which basically means I'm being used as a TA. Their stated reasons are they don't want to disrupt the children's education further (which I do understand) but I'm not sure I want to carry on with this situation until July, which is when they say it will continue to. I have had all my exam classes taken off me, which again I understand, but don't get why I can't go back to teaching the lower years like normal.

My union isn't very happy about this, but I haven't had a proper chance to talk to the union about it yet.

So my question is, if I've be ok'ed to work as a teacher again, can they deny me teaching time?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Of course. The head can deploy you as s/he thinks fit, as long as you're not being asked to something beyond your capabilities. You have no 'right' to teach.

3. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I agree with Middlemarch. But perhaps you could play it from a professional development angle? Surley to have any chance of meeting your targets you would need to be teaching. You must get your union involved either way.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Under certain circumstances, an employer is under an implied duty to provide work, if the employee's work requires skills which need to be regularly exercised. I am not sure whether this could/would apply to teaching...

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

So you're being paid to do less work than usual? Count it as a phased return to ease you back into school after you've had time off sick - Many would delight in being eased back in so nicely.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you're team teaching, you're teaching!

7. coppull

coppull New commenter

Most people returning from long term sickness,would be very pleased with this phased return to to work schedule..
    We assume your Union was involved in this phased return to work.? Or if they were not involved you would have been told what was going to happen before you returned to school.

8. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

One bit of warning, which may make it worth asking to gradually increase the demands on you.
    A colleague returned after a lengthy absence (post-viral syndrome) in the summer term. As his classes had all been re-timetabled and distributed amongst the rest of the department, rather than covered by a temporary teacher, they created a timetable for him which was largely team-teaching, or splitting the odd class. All went fine, until he returned to a full timetable in September, and was fairly immediately back off ill again.
    So although the team-teaching is a sensible way to start, perhaps there could be a definite aim of you gradually switching to taking the lead so that you get back into the full load of preparation and marking. It shouldn't be disruptive for the pupils if you've got the team-teaching instead of a sudden change of teacher.