1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can they do this?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Lalad, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

I have had part-time contracts with the same two schools for many years. One of the schools has said they are changing my hours to a day when they know I am contracted to work with the other school. Although I have said I will ask whether I can change my hours at the other school, the first school have said that if my other school cant accommodate this, then I will have to resign, as it wouldn't be a redundancy case because the hours are still available, albeit on a different day.
    Is this right?

2. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

I have had part-time contracts with the same two schools for many years. One of the schools has said they are changing my hours to a day when they know I am contracted to work with the other school. Although I have said I will ask whether I can change my hours at the other school, the first school have said that if my other school cant accommodate this, then I will have to resign, as it wouldn't be a redundancy case because the hours are still available, albeit on a different day.
    Is this right?

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

Have you spoken to your union?

4. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

Yes, they said to check with the other school first, and then get back to them - I am quite worried though.

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

the hours being on a different day is only relevant if your contract states the hours without mention of the day. The demand that you change those hours, under this kind of threat is very unreasonable, almost constructive dismissal. I hope you have it in writing. If not, ask for it, in the interest of clarity (and evidence of course).
    As to <u>having to</u> resign - the school is attempting to alter your conditions of service, in place for many years, I think they would have to face a pretty tough time in front of a tribunal if it came to that. Press your union office for a caseworker to discuss the situation with.

6. Make sure you get all this in writing, an <font size="2" face="HelveticaNeue-Light">Employment Tribunal, will understand what they are up to!</font>

7. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

Thanks for your replies. As far as I know, neither of my contracts stipulates the days, just the weekly hours - but I have been working the same hours/days for several years in both cases. If my other school is unable to change one of my days, I will contact the union again for further advice.

8. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

At the risk of being repetitive, get it in writing! Good luck!