1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can they do this?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lilykitty, Apr 24, 2011.

1. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Ooohh, this is a blood-boiler!
    The classroom layout is down to the teacher. If the teaching assistants have an issue with it I would have no problem with them telling me because they may well have noticed something I haven't thought of. However, changing it without talking to me when I have spent time moving things around would make me fume!
    Are you sure they know <u>you</u> moved the classroom around? Sometimes the cleaners shampoo the carpet in my classroom during the holidays and the caretaker puts the room back as best as he can remember it. Could they have thought this had happened and put it back the way they thought you wanted? Are you sure it was the TAs who moved it?
    Otherwise, you're going to have to have a full and frank discussion!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The 'right'? I doubt it is one of their 'rights' no. But then I doubt it is one of the teacher's 'rights' to have the room put back exactly how they wanted it.

The TAs, presumably, were in charge of the class while the teacher wasn't there. They might have needed it how it was before and just not had time to move it back.

Or they might have moved it back, thinking you only needed it in the new way for a one off lesson and they were being helpful.

Cleaners also move stuff about. As do children.

Yes it is annoying, but not the end of the world. And definitely not something to get in a tizz over. Worse things happen at sea and all that.

3. Did you mention to them that you were going to move the classroom around? It could be that they thought the classroom was arranged wrongly and so moved it back to how they thought it should be.
    If you moved it around without communicating with them about it, what does that say about teamwork in your class?
    On the other hand - if they have ignored a decision that you made and told them about you need to let them know that is not acceptable.

4. mousey80

mousey80 Occasional commenter

They might not have been able to remember the groupings. I would ask why the desks were moved back and see what happens from there.

5. Mutiny being one of them!
    How strange that a person can forego so much to become a teacher, have to endure so much stress from so many quarters and then be treated with so little respect by other employees who lack the basic common courtesy of politeness and cooperation that they themselves demand from others.
    Leaving aside who is responsible for the classroom and everything that happens within its 4 walls, it is undeniably rude not to leave something as you have found it.