1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can there be an option to stay logged in?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by aw27, Aug 26, 2011.

1. aw27

aw27 New commenter

I find it frustrating to have to log in everytime I use the forums, even if I am away from the computer for a few minutes I have to log in again. I prefer to be logged in even if I'm only reading as I can access the hotlist. I only use the forums at home so there's no security issue - can there not be a setting as on so many other sites that says 'click here to stay logged in' - even if, like eBay, it was only for 24 hours.
    Please please please!!!

2. Hi
    As a security measure we have an automatic logout which times users out of the site after 30 minutes of inactivity. As long as you click something within that time period, you won't be logged out.
    We are considering adding the feature to remember login details but to keep logged in, probably not. In the meantime there is a way for you to have your computer remember your login to save you typing it each time.
    In Internet Explorer, click:
    Tools
    Internet Options
    Content (the tab)
    Settings (next to where it says autocomplete)
    Put a tick next to all the options and click OK.
    Then, provided you have allowed your login information to be remembered, you just double click the username field and click your username.
    Autocomplete for Firefox
    Warning: This is STRICTLY not recommended on shared computers.

3. aw27

aw27 New commenter

I have tried this and it doesn't seem to make any difference!

4. Did you say 'yes' to have windows remember your password? Which version of IE are you using?

5. aw27

aw27 New commenter

I said yes to everything. I'm using the most up to date IE although my OS is vista which generally seems to be the root cause of most problems... Incidentally I cannot change my profile picture either now - it just sets it back everytime.
    Im starting to get paranoid!!!

6. I am not familiar with Vista. Maybe it isn't possible then.
    Your avatar is of a cartoon child with a teddy bear. What can you see? Your avatar will update eventually but to get this to update quicker .....
    right click on the old image shown next to your posts
    left click properties, Highlight the URL for the image right up to and including the .jpg
    ctrl c to copy then paste this in a new browser window and hit enter so that you see your avatar on a page on its own
    ctrl F5 to refresh which should show your new image. Close that browser window
    Go to one of your posts making sure you refresh that page as well and it should show the new image.
    Your image must be completely square size 60 x 60 in order to display correctly as well.
    You could delete your temporary internet files and cookies to see if this fixes the issue. Please check your help files.

7. aw27

aw27 New commenter

Thanks - its come up now!

8. aw27

aw27 New commenter

...and now its gone again... I give up!!!!

9. aw27

aw27 New commenter

....and its gone again....I give up!!

10. Your avatar is currently showing as a cartoon girl. It's possible that when you saw it coming and going, you were on a different server. It can take a little while for the servers to sync.