1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can the school invoice me?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by JodiP, Jun 18, 2019.

1. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

I’m currently signed off work until the end of term with WRS due to bullying. I have a new job for September.

I got sent an email saying they had referred me to OH. No mention of any appointment, just the referral. Today, I got an email saying I didn’t attend an OH appointment yesterday and am being invoiced for the cost. £425!

I read through his email again. No reference to an appointment anywhere apart from he had made a referral. The title of the email is ‘absence.’ It is a long email chain. At the bottom at the end of all the emails there is a little box with the attachment. Nowhere did the email indicate there was a letter or an appointment anywhere or that an appointment had actually been made. I have not received a letter in the post either.

I have spoken to the union and they are going to discuss all of the issues with the school with me face to face.

In the meantime, can anyone offer me advice for my email reply please? I don’t believe it’s reasonable to ask me to pay £425 for an appointment I was unaware of.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Obviously listen to what your Union says, but - if this were me - the school would never see a penny from me (though, of course, they might try to deduct from my wages... in which case I'd look to sue them in the small claims court).

Piranha and bonxie like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Don't reply and don't pay a penny. Your union are dealing with this on your behalf.

If you didn't know an appointment had been made for yesterday then you are not liable. You didn't make the referral. Even if you did know but didn't attend I doubt there is any legal basis to charge you unless you agreed to reimburse the school for their costs in this situation.

If you have a new job in September do you care whether you see the OH arranged by your current school?

Piranha, bonxie and FrankWolley like this.
  4. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

Apparently they need consent to deduct from my wages apart from an overpayment

bonxie likes this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

In that case do as Rott Weiler says.

6. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

The school have slipped up by not making it clear that they had made an OH appointment for you, not just a referral. They should also have checked that the appointment they'd made was convenient for you and that you'd be willing and able to attend. For all the school knew, you might have already booked a doctor's appointment for that time.

You didn't ask for an OH appointment, you didn't make an OH appointment and you didn't know one had been made for you. You are not at fault here. The £425 is the school's problem since they created the situation. Don't pay. Just let your union deal with it.

Piranha and FrankWolley like this.