1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can the school governors help to eliminate poverty?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by VTAGabriels, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Dear Teachers, I introduced a topic for discussion under the ROLE - Governor of TES Forums, focusing particularly on the <u>roles</u> of teachers (lecturers at all levels including) e.g. illegally disrecommending some brilliant learners of ethnic origin, which they don't personally like, to fail in their external examinations, thereby infuriating, frustrating and impoverishing those ethnically disfavoured by them.
    I hereby invite teachers and head teachers to please reflect on and evaluate my <u>suggestions</u> which may be found under the ROLE - Governor of the TES Forums.
    Please refer to the TES Governors' Forum to read about my suggestions.
    Thanks
    VTAG

2. Dear Teachers, I introduced a topic for discussion under the ROLE - Governor of TES Forums, focusing particularly on the <u>roles</u> of teachers (lecturers at all levels including) e.g. illegally disrecommending some brilliant learners of ethnic origin, which they don't personally like, to fail in their external examinations, thereby infuriating, frustrating and impoverishing those ethnically disfavoured by them.
    I hereby invite teachers and head teachers to please reflect on and evaluate my <u>suggestions</u> which may be found under the ROLE - Governor of the TES Forums.
    Please refer to the TES Governors' Forum to read about my suggestions.
    Thanks
    VTAG

3. I would be enthralled to know where you have experienced this.

4. Hmmmm.
    Working to ensure specific students fail their external exams. Pass rates for your students go down but only for certain ethnic groups. That's never going to be discussed with you at PM time or sooner.
    I think OP could have a chip on the shoulder or an axe to grind.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'll leave aside the fact that this statement doesn't mean what you think it means and ask how this works, since I don't know of any mechanism to 'disrecommend' people to 'fail in rheir external examinations'.
    Teachers enter students for exams, the students sit the exams, they get marked externally. You can't 'disrecommend' or even 'recommend' them to 'fail'.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You clearly do not understand the examination system.
    Examination papers are sat by the learners and are then sent off for external marking and moderation. There is no opportunity whatsoever for a teacher, lecturer or examination body to "disrecommend" an examinee on any grounds. Examinees are passed, failed and graded entirely on their own merits on the basis of the examination papers submitted by them. There is no scope for the views of a teacher or lecturer to be taken into account.