1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can the school governors help to aliminate poverty?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by VTAGabriels, Dec 27, 2010.

1. We all know that some people are born with silver spoon in their mouth. And from the 20th century, education became a human right for all, and still some educational institutions remain a privilege for the rich and resourceful few. Could (1) the way and what teachers teach, (2) funding policies on education and (3) language barriers in the classrooms, be mainly responsible for making some people seemingly poor?
    Contributors may state their assumption under this discussion topic.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

1. Not really
    2. Not really.
    3. Not really.
    People not having enough money - that's what makes them poor. But you'd also have to define 'poverty' for us, given that here in the UK 'poverty' today is not the same as it was when I was at school.
    For me it meant living in a tiny, rented house with no bathroom or inside toilet or heating system or running hot water. It meant going to school in shoes with big holes in the soles, for example.
    Few children in the UK live like that today.
    But given I lived in that sort of poverty and was taught a 'grammar' school curriculum (albeit in a comprehensive school) but managed to drag myself out of poverty and go to university - and given that today's schools make massively greater provision for children with a range of needs, including language - I fail to see what more ought to be done.

4. Thanks to the learned contributors, but please contribute further clarifications of your opinions and please suggest <u>solutions</u> if you could.
    Isn't there something the <u>teachers</u> could do in the schools and classrooms to promote better teaching, learning and working-culture experiences that learners could take away from school - (1) that must help the poor and the working class (might even help the rich get richer) out of laziness, dishonesty, fraud and poverty - (2) that would bring about changes in the educational policies of school funders and - (3) that would convert the negative effects which language barriers have over those who are being disadvantaged and are poor as a result?
    How long can we pretend that we are not our brothers' keepers in the UK!
    Please assume that the word 'eliminate' was typographically intended in the subject matter.

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

As my dear dad used to say " stick a broom up my **** and I'll sweep the floor while I'm at it".

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Are you inviting us to write your election manifesto or your dissertation for you VTAG?
    Your Profile says you are qualified for 20 - 30 years, but not what you are quailifed as. can you clarify please, (1) do you have UK Qualified Teacher Status and (2) and you working as a teacher in the UK at present and if so (3) are you familiar with the 5 ECM outcomes?

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Why has no one thought of that before....

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You clearly do not understand the examination system.
    Examination papers are sat by the learners and are then sent off for external marking and moderation. There is no opportunity whatsoever for a teacher, lecturer or examination body to "disrecommend" an examinee on any grounds. Examinees are passed, failed and graded entirely on their own merits on the basis of the examination papers submitted by them. There is no scope for the views of a teacher or lecturer to be taken into account.

9. I think the OP is either a troll or, at the very least, not all he seems.

10. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

I think VTAG has left the building Rott. I'd bet you won't be getting an answer from him to this ..... I can't imagine why he doesn't want to answer, I'm sure.

11. This is my evaluation and verdict on what I have read from your contributions.
    As you may have noticed, I am a FE teacher/lecturer who teaches the responsible adults. Currently, I teach students from various racial backgrounds in the UK at professional level. I would therefore encourage anyone to accept what Martin Luther King, Barak Obama, Kofi Annan and other prominent people like myself with photo ID on the TES Forum, had become, good teachers.
    Neither ECM nor the legal system would change a prejudiced teacher/lecturer to become a non-prejudiced teacher: Perhaps, what is required is the right teaching education with the willingness of the teacher to change, international exposure, fairness, quest for nobility and the realisation that no human conditions last forever. Therefore, wise is the man/woman who neither makes any utterances that would defile him/her nor writes or believes in the 11th commandment, i.e. 'thou shall not be found out or revealed by photo or name.'
    Teaching is about passing good and non-destructive knowledge over to future generation and teachers/lecturers need to love those they teach for a teacher may or may not always get paid. If you teach only for the money, then you may not be doing a satisfactory job, and that could make the improper teacher 60% humane and 40% non-humane.
    Let no-one hide behind the facade of TES Forum because there is no hiding place under the sun, but be constructive towards any forum and the topics initiated by people who volunteer their time to even bother writing on TES. I am sure some good school governors, teachers, lecturers and legal practitioners who have their own biological children might understand all these. As they say - a stitch in time saves nine, and there is always SOMEBODY who often pays debts without money.
    VTAG
    FE Lecturer

12. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

You're losong the plot VTAG. In cae you hadn't noticed Martin Luther King, Barak Obama, Kofi Annan are prominent people but you are not. Out of curiosity I googled you to see how well known you are and oddly for someone prominent like you there is no refernce to you to be found anywhere excpet your recent posts here. I also doubt whether you are who you say you are, I doubt whether the photo is you and I doubt your real name is VTAGabriels. I think you're a troll.

13. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Indeed, you only have to read some of the car crash threads weebecka was involved in after she started posting under her real name.
    It would be very foolish indeed.

14. What an arrogant man you are! Do you think you are doing us all some favour by 'volunteering your time' to post your incoherent ramblings on here?
    For your information putting a 'real' sounding name and someone's photo on here doesn't prove a thing, anyone can post any name or photo they want to, so just because you say your name is VTAGabriels doesn't mean it is. Personally I don't care what name people use, but as it seems to matter to you perhaps you could post a link here to some external website that would validate your identity. If you won't I will have to agree with previous posters, you are just another troll.
    PS I have volunteered my time to read your posts so feel free to thenk me for doing so.
    rr

15. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I bet these other 'prominent people' can construct a sentence that actually makes sense, unlike your good self.
    What are you talking about? Is it poverty or racism? Go on, be honest. They're not necessarily the same thing, you know. Mr Obama was not exactly from the most poverty-stricken of backgrounds.

16. johnblack

johnblack New commenter

Oh really ! No evidence for him anywhere! I think I know where he is.

17. johnblack

johnblack New commenter

Although I do have bad eyes!

18. johnblack

johnblack New commenter