1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can the Chair of Governors be sacked/dismissed by the head teacher?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Scientiadocet, May 19, 2012.

1. Is it possible for a head teacher to sack or dismiss the Chair of Governors? If so, on what grounds?
    Thank you.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

The mind boggles ...

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

This is the best laugh I've had in a while.

4. I'm sure at least one of the staff is a member of a union. Why don't you get them involved? Thats what union subs are for.

5. Hello,
    I am sorry I went MIA for a little while.
    My question was written in the rush of the moment and that's the reason I believe some of you may have been baffled (or even entertained) by it.
    What I should have asked is: are there any grounds which a head teacher can rely on (or possibly even a policy or legal loophole) in order to attempt to get rid of the chair of governors? I put my hands forward and say that I don't know much about the head-chair relationship in general and what powers the head has, if any, to recommend or put into motion his/her dismissal.
    Hopefully I make more sense now although I believe my question may already have been answered.
    Thank you for your contributions.

6. Let's assume in this hypothetical scenario that the chair of governors has done nothing wrong, but that he/she represents an inconvenience for a head teacher.

7. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

8. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

The point is that anyone connected with a school can be bullied by anyone connected with a school.
    It is just so difficult to prove.
    But if we feel (at gut level) bullying by adults in schools can (and does) happen we need to say this is wrong.
    [​IMG]