1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can teaching assistants still be paid through the holidays?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by t_barras, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. t_barras

t_barras New commenter

I have a question which I am struggling to find an answer for regarding teaching assistant contracts and salary.

I currently work at a primary school in North London and have heard that TA job positions advertised nationwide will now only state term time only contracts pro rata, therefore eliminating pay over the holiday periods. I am planning to move to Kent to work and have noticed all the job positions state term time only pro rata.

Can you tell me if it varies with every school for TA work particularly in Kent, or if these new contract changes have come into effect for schools nationwide?

2. mrmatt73

mrmatt73 Occasional commenter

If it's a permanent role, then you should get paid over the holiday on a pro-rata basis even though it says term-time only...the general low TA wage takes this into account There may be some kinds of rolling contract than ends in July and then begins in the September but I haven't seem them in my LEA. Academies may do something different as well.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

4. Freaky_Friday

Freaky_Friday New commenter

I've seen a lot of TA positions near the south coast being pro-rata.

But don't forget, you still accrue 'holiday pay' so you will receive this over the holidays I guess?

Ensure any contract indicates your holiday pay.

Also, I'm not too sure what the law states on segmented employment. This can be checked at gov.uk.

It does seem that Academies tend to be different working environments now in comparison to LA schools. Same rights should apply, check employment law also.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I haven't heard of this as a legal expression. What does it mean? I couldn't find it on gov.uk, and it would help me and the OP if you could provide a link.

The same rights under employment law as you would have anywhere, but there is no reason why other rights should be the same. In any case, as far as I know, there are no standard conditions for TAs along the lines of STPCD, although I might be wrong not being an expert on the subject.

It is common in scchools for some administration jobs to be term time only, paid evenly over a full year. I know of no rule that says that TAs can't be the same. Really, it is a question of looking at the annual salary - a higher rate per day would make up for lack of holiday pay. In fact (I believe) all staff are entitled to some holiday pay, but not enough to cover all school holidays.

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

It applies to LAs who have gone for single status. All to do with LA employees, not schools, not receiving the same pay as school employees who were paid full time but only worked 39 weeks. The LA I'm in does this and when it was introduced many TAs lost money. In my LA the amount of holiday pay increases the longer you are employed but it is still pro rata.