1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can teachers immunize students against the global emergence of deceit?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by philippkirsch, Apr 21, 2018.

1. philippkirsch

philippkirsch New commenter

"The tribe tells itself what it wants to hear...The desire to stand with your fellow apologists is so great you’re ready to throw out not only your opponents’ arguments but their evidence too. And because trust in all the previously respected referees has collapsed, you refuse to believe anything and anyone that contradicts you...The danger this poses is clear."

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...th-tribal-robert-mueller-white-helmets-factse

What do you think?
    How do you manage polarized belief systems in your classroom?
    Is this worse in some locations than others?

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

What makes you think it is a teacher's job to proselytise to pupils?

3. philippkirsch

philippkirsch New commenter

@Vince_Ulam ...I think you might completely misunderstand the question in this post. My intent was quite the opposite, not to proselytise (which I think generally means taking one side against another), but instead, to create a middle ground which encourages thoughtful consideration of all perspectives prior to taking sides.

I think the erosion of truth is a very serious problem...and am interested in how teachers address this..

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ton-trump-attack-criticism-pen-event-comments

ruthwill500 likes this.
  4. ruthwill500

ruthwill500 New commenter

Vince_Ulam, yes I do think you have misunderstood Philipp's motive. Although, you may be just testing his resolve to the middle group and tempting him into a polarised position?

5. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

It is the teacher's job to encourage children to think and question. I believe that is what is being suggested.

ruthwill500 likes this.
  6. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Unfortunately, the scrapping of coursework has undermined our ability to do this, as the research skills involved would lead us to explicitly teaching students the need to cross-check facts across several sources and/or evaluate differing view points.

However, it can still be done - I do it a lot as an English teacher, with debate lessons and teaching students to read texts through various ideological lens/from different historical perspectives. However, this may just be a drop in the ocean...