1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can supply work ever become permanent

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sarah_apple, Aug 16, 2011.

1. hi i havesigned up to agencies for cover supervisor role/ I wanted to know whether supply work can ever become permament. please help. i am worried.

2. hi i havesigned up to agencies for cover supervisor role/ I wanted to know whether supply work can ever become permament. please help. i am worried.

3. In the old days supply teaching would often result in job offers.
    In the present climate this is reduced. The general view is that supply teacher/supply CS are Temps. by the schools, you are there to plug gaps. If you succeed in plugging gaps you survive. You may get noticed. If you do not suceed you will be noticed as you will not be asked back.
    We were always Temps anyway.
    It would be foolish to predict the future. You may be lucky and get long term bookings with schools who you get on with.
    Agency work is russion roullette.

4. Russion Roulette or otherwise, If you have never tackled a secondary classroom well I would do some work on a game plan on how you are going to do this.
    You are one person
    there are 24 plus of them.
    get a game plan together

5. Charlington

Charlington New commenter

Hello.
    I worked on supply last academic year, and was lucky enough to be offered a job at the school.
    However, I realise this is not the norm in the current situation, and I do think it would be unwise to rely on being offered a job. If it happens, then it's brill, but I think it is an unlikely prospect.

Charlington

6. I too have been offered a (temporary) job after supply. However, be aware that an agency can charge a 'finders' fee' to the school in the event of them wanting to take you on. This puts many schools off. Ask your agencies how flexible they can be about this, there are compromise arrangements that some will make eg you carry on supply for a term and then move over to contract without the fee. Let it be known at theschool that you would welcome a permanent post and your agency have told you that they will consider - whatever. I have heard of teachers paying the finders' fee themselves! It's a mad world.