1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can someone help with my laptop wifi problem??

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by rainbowdrop86, Dec 22, 2011.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Hope someone can help me. I have a dell school laptop, that up untill a few months ago worked absolutely fine at home, connected to my home wifi not a problem. Then it stopped!! Ive put up with it up till now but its driving me mad using 2 laptops!!! It connects to the internet at school, both wirelessly and with a wire, and my personal laptop connects at home. At the bottom of the toolbar, on the signal strenth symbol, it says connectivity: authenticating. For the IP address its all 0's, something like 0:0:0:0:0 from memory. Surely thats not right!!! Can someone help

2. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Hope someone can help me. I have a dell school laptop, that up untill a few months ago worked absolutely fine at home, connected to my home wifi not a problem. Then it stopped!! Ive put up with it up till now but its driving me mad using 2 laptops!!! It connects to the internet at school, both wirelessly and with a wire, and my personal laptop connects at home. At the bottom of the toolbar, on the signal strenth symbol, it says connectivity: authenticating. For the IP address its all 0's, something like 0:0:0:0:0 from memory. Surely thats not right!!! Can someone help

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Which OS are you running? You need to reinstall the wifi connection.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

School laptops sometimes fail to work at home if the internet connection is configured for a Proxy server. I'm not saying that's the answer to your difficulty, but the problem you describe sounds familiar.

Depending on your operating system, you need to find your way into the internet connection's properties and see if an option mentioning 'Proxy server' is ticked. Try unticking it and seeing if you can connect. If not, go back and tick it again then try something else.

5. If it packed in all of a sudden, it's possible that Windows Update may have pushed a driver onto it that's broken something.
    From time to time it happens as manufacturers often have their own modified drivers that address quirks within their designs while Windows Update distributes a vanilla version from the wi-fi card manufacturer.

Go to Dell's website, download the correct driver for the wireless on the laptop, go to Device Manager (in Control Panel) and remove the existing driver. Run the file you downloaded from Dell and let it install it's own driver, i.e. if it says the existing one's newer and asks if you wish to keep the existing one, say no.

Once it's reinstalled, you should see the hardware detected bubble pop up by the clock and the wi-fi icon re-appear. Click on it, select the Wi-Fi ID of your router and re-enter the network key.

All this assumes of course, that you have admin rights to install software on the laptop. If not, badger you network bod and get him/her to do it for you.

6. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

I'm with Magic on this one. Let me know if that is the problem I have a nice couple of VB scripts that add and remove proxy settings so I click one when I am at school and one when I am at home.