1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can someone help please? Maths GCSE

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by MrsK2806, Aug 9, 2011.

1. I am due to start my Secondary English PGCE in September and I don't have my GCSE grade C maths.
    My university have been a bit lax this year and only sorted out their equivalency test two weeks ago. It has taken them two weeks to let me know that I have failed the equivalency paper and I now have a resit next Wednesday.
    I'm really struggling with this. It has been years (12) since I attempted my GCSE and I'm now finding it really hard to grasp the concept of it.

Are there any maths teachers out there that can help me please? The areas I'm struggling with the most are algebra (expanding and simplifying in particular), shapes and angles, data analysis, standard index form, factorising equations - basically anything on the intermediate or higher papers!

I would appreciate any help. I have worked so hard to get this far; I have done an Access to Higher Education course to get into university, I have done my degree whilst giving birth twice in a year and have managed to get 1 point under a first in my degree with two children under two and managed to get onto the course when the places were cut from 18 to 10. This means everything to me and I'm so desperate I just can't fail again.
    Please help.

Kate

2. I am due to start my Secondary English PGCE in September and I don't have my GCSE grade C maths.
    My university have been a bit lax this year and only sorted out their equivalency test two weeks ago. It has taken them two weeks to let me know that I have failed the equivalency paper and I now have a resit next Wednesday.
    I'm really struggling with this. It has been years (12) since I attempted my GCSE and I'm now finding it really hard to grasp the concept of it.

Are there any maths teachers out there that can help me please? The areas I'm struggling with the most are algebra (expanding and simplifying in particular), shapes and angles, data analysis, standard index form, factorising equations - basically anything on the intermediate or higher papers!

I would appreciate any help. I have worked so hard to get this far; I have done an Access to Higher Education course to get into university, I have done my degree whilst giving birth twice in a year and have managed to get 1 point under a first in my degree with two children under two and managed to get onto the course when the places were cut from 18 to 10. This means everything to me and I'm so desperate I just can't fail again.
    Please help.

Kate

3. DM

DM New commenter

The intermediate paper was abolished a few years ago and several of the topics you have listed are grade B or above.
    Is your university giving you a real GCSE past paper to do or have they made up some test of their own?

4. The paper I did two weeks ago said Equivalency test on the front page and had the university crest on it so I don't know if they've made it up but it appears that way. The paper made very little sense to me though, particularly as the lady from admissions that was overseeing the test said that the paper was made up of D, C and B questions and that it could be passed just with the C and D questions. I have to say though, the questions were so hard that I couldn't have picked out D questions at all.

5. DM

DM New commenter

I don't want to be negative but you haven't left yourself much time to fix this. Have you been sent preparatory materials?

6. I understand what you're saying but I only got the letter today saying that I'd failed. They only told me 3 days before the test two weeks ago when the date was for that one and it's taken them two weeks to mark that one.
    The only preparatory materials they sent me for the first test consisted of areas to study for the test and it says things like: Add and subtract fractions by writing them with a common denominator. Explore number sequences, finding and describing the rule for the next term or nth term of a sequence where the rule is linear. Formulate and solve linear equations with whole-number coefficients. Represent mappings expressed algebraically, and use Cartesian coordinates for graphical representation interpreting general features.

I don't even understand what most of that means!

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I suggest that you go and buy a GCSE Maths revision guide with questions. You need a Higher tier one which will cover from D grade up to A* material.
    This will include all of the topics that you have mentioned, including a lot of work that is not relevant to you. Start by working through the grade D work and move into grade C in topics that you find easy.
    Finding a local Maths tutor would help at this stage!

8. DM

DM New commenter

Right I have just turned my house upside down and have managed to find a Higher MathsWatch CD for you. This has video clips of a teacher going through each GCSE topic and then you put it on pause and try a couple of questions yourself. There is an index which identifies the grade of each question.
    Send me a private message with your postal address and I will send it to you today.

9. DM

DM New commenter

Some of these topics are not particularly difficult but they appear to have chosen language to obfuscate.

10. I've been using the revision guide and workbook for higher tier and gcse bitesize but I've found that in the case of the revision guide for example, the section on expanding and simplifying is a tiny section of one page and it's confusing. There are also very few practice questions to test if I'm getting it right.

I am trying to find a tutor but the reality is that I'm broke so trying to find a cheap one is quite difficult. I'm sorry if I seem negative, I've been trying to study for this and do my PGCE pre-course tasks and I only have evenings to do it due to my children so it's been a case of not having much time or brain power in the subject!

I apologise if this has no paragraphs, I'm on my iPhone now as my children have woken up so I've had to put the laptop away!

11. I've PM'd you DM. Thank you so much for your help.

Kate.

12. Where do you live? PM me and I may be able to help. I can send attachments, via e-mail, which might help explain concepts you're stuck on.

13. I would like to thank those that have offered help to me today so much. That you bothered has really restored my faith in human kindness, particularly with everything that is going on at the moment.
    I made a note at my last exam of the things that I know I couldn't answer.

• Integers
    • Expand and simplify algebra
    • Stem plot graphs
    • Drawing graphs using equations
    • Mean, modal and median
    • Standard form
    • Shapes and areas
    • Finding the volume of a 3D shape
    • Relationships of graphs
    • Data collection
    • Evaluating
    • Angles
    • Interquartile range on a graph
    These are the sections of the exam that I tried to answer but knew that I had no clue at all!
    If anyone can shed some light on these, or at least give me a basis to start with until DM's disc arrives, I'd be grateful!
    Kate.

14. DM

DM New commenter

Integers is another word for whole numbers.
    Leave expanding and simplifying for the CD.
    Stem and leaf diagrams are easy and also well explained on the CD.
    Graphs from tables of values also on CD.
    Mean, mode and median are three types of average. The mode is the number that occurs most frequently in a list. The median is the middle value when the numbers are placed in order. If there are two middle values find the value halfway between them (add them and divide by 2). To find the mean, add up all the values and divide by how many there are.
    Standard form is simply a way of writing big and small numbers economically. Wait for the CD.
    Shapes and areas - there are a number of simple formulas to learn. Use your revision guide, look at rectangle, triangle, parallelogram, trapezium, circle.
    Volume of a 3D shape - this is easy if you master area - then look up volume of a prism.
    Relationships of graphs - just forget about this.
    Data collection - look at CD but it is common sense.
    Evaluating just means working out the answer.
    Angles - use the CD, learn angles around a point, angles on a straight line, angles around a point, angles in parallel lines - don't bother with circle theorems.
    Interquartile range - look up cumulative frequency graph on the CD - it just means how spread out the middle half of a data set is.

15. DM, I received the disc today, thank you so much! I have worked on it at every opportunity today and so far seem to be getting it. The only problem I foresee is remembering the techniques next week during the exam but so far it makes total sense (the D questions do anyway!).
    Thank you again for sending it, you're a lifesaver (I hope!).

16. DM

DM New commenter

No problem. Keep at it.