1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can someone help me write a Multiple choice question? I am stumped

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by kugrad2005, Nov 9, 2016.

1. I have to write a multiple choice question about creating effective multiple choice questions and I am STUMPED.

https://cft.vanderbilt.edu/guides-sub-pages/writing-good-multiple-choice-test-questions/
    It's based on the above handout.

The tricky part is that it must not contain “all of the above” and “none of the above” in the answers.

and not only that but it should not be in a "which is NOT the correct answer" form in the stem part of the question.

So my question is, how in the world would you write that if you can't include those two things?

Please help! I am completely out of ideas!

2. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

How about:

Which of the following is a strength of multiple-choice test questions?
    A. They can test students' ability to organise thoughts.
    B. They are less susceptible to guessing than true/false questions.*
    C. They can test students' ability to articulate explanations and creative ideas.
    D. They typically focus on a relatively narrow range of course material.

I've starred (*) the right answer according to your handout.

3. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

It's been over a week, kugrad2005, since you posted your message and received a response. Do you have any feedback to share with us about multiple-choice question techniques?

4. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

Well, if you cannot have "all of the above" and "none of the above", is there any proscription on "Which of these four statements is correct?" with choices:

A. 1, 2 and 3 but not 4
    B. 1, 2 and 4 but not 3
    C. 1, 3 and 4 but not 2
    D. 1 and 2 but not 3 or 4
    E. 3 and 4 but not 1 and 2