1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can someone help me to come up with a smashing art lesson please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by comenius, Jun 6, 2011.

1. comenius

comenius New commenter

2. Are you going to dip the tuning forks into bowls of water while they are vibrating? It's amazing! I can't help with the art though sorry, the only thing that occurred to me is that waves link both the science and the renewable energy.

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

[​IMG]
    I wonder if they could make their own printing blocks using card and string to print the vibrations in water, or use card combs to show vibrations like in the painting below.
    [​IMG]

4. Yes! The water spalshes out. I've never taught this unit on placement before but I'm looking forward to it (I mean the changing sounds unit).
    If anyone has a good idea for art, please let me know! It needs to be linked to the topic work (renewable energy) or science (changing sounds- and I know it's probably impossible to link this to art, or maybe I'm not creative enough). We've done making things from recycled materials before but that was before half term. They've been decorating their old clothes but I don't want to do that this Friday. I will do that the following weeks. It's quite chaotic and I don't want to be observed teaching it! Chaotic as in the children can't stitch etc so I have to stitch designs etc on for them and not as in the children are out of control.

5. Can you provide a bit more information about how I can go about this please and where did you get the above image from? Thanks.

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I see this comes off the back of a poor observation 2 weeks ago, and so you are desperate to make a good impression. This is good and shows your commitment. However, at this stage you should really be leaning towards using your own ideas tailored towards the children you are actually teaching.
    I notice that a fair number of your posts are for help with lesson planning. A student at the end of the final block placement should really be working more independently. Also, asking for help on a Monday, for an outstanding lesson to be delivered on Friday, is no mean feat. I mean, once the ideas are given, you still need to tailor them to your plans etc. That doesn't leave that much time. Look to plan lessons as far in advance as possible, so as to give yourself the best possible chance of success.
    Also, I would advise trying to wean yourself off using other people as such a crutch for planning.
    Best of luck for Friday, do let us know how it goes.

7. Change of plan. I am now teaching ICT instead and being observed in ICT instead of art. To Crowbob, I do indeed ask for help on here and often ask about planning. I do all of my planning myself, but I ask for ideas on here from time to time because I don't actually have a class teacher and I'm only told which unit I'm teaching, no more than that and often the school doesn't follow a scheme of work (except for core subjects). It's not easy teaching with absolutely no guidance. If that is a sign of weakness then so be it but I wouldn't be on here so often if I had a class teacher I could run my ideas by. It would be incredibly naive of me to think that my ideas are all amazing, without considering different ones. I like hearing ideas from people with more experience so that I'm learning more from this placement because often it's just me and the kids. Think of me as not capable if you want but I've been told my planning is excellent, most of which I do myself. I'm only after the best for the children and as far as I know, everyone else on my course actually has a class teacher. Nobody even checks my planning and when you're a trainee and teaching the class, it's a big responsibility and I want to do it right. I'm perfectly capable and don't really appreciate comments like this time and time again to be honest.

8. Hello dancingqueen, I just wanted to wish you all the best for Friday. I see nothing wrong in using a teaching website to bounce ideas/ask for advice.
    Hope you have everything sorted for your observation.
    Good luck!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Hope the ICT goes well for you.

To be honest if you have to ask here as often as you do it says more about the lack of support from your placement school than it does about you. I have two final placement students in my school and they ask their classteachers for ideas all the time and use the school's planning and ideas as well. Since you don't have that it makes sense to use this site instead.

I've been teaching for 15 years and my year partner for 10. We work together and use each other's ideas on a daily basis. No way is it better to do everything yourself.

10. It's the first year I've taught year 5 on placement and with nobody to check my planning, it does make me a bit paranoid and question my ideas a lot but I am capable. There are only a few weeks left of placement and I've done a lot of the planning so it's not like I expect people to do all the hard work for me, but I'll stop asking so many questions and trust my instinct a bit more.

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I didn't say that...
    Nobody will force you to take my advice. Whether you appreciate it or not is neither here nor there. I just comment on what I see. I think you are using the forums as something of a "comforter". In the longterm, I don't think this is good for your professional development.
    Nor did I say that you were incapable of planning. It is just posts like "give me ideas for a smashing art lesson loosely linked to one of these two themes" are rather broad.
    Again, I wish you luck for Friday.