1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can someone explain....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jet786, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Why is it as teachers we are capable of amazing feats - surviving staff meetings, drinking school coffee, getting little Johnny to actually hand in some homework and going an entire without a cold or sniffle - but 4 days into vacation things change...every bug or virus you have been in contact with now thinks you are fair game on your vacation...[​IMG]
    Just a random thought - [​IMG]

2. Ive always thought its just like your body relaxes when you are off work and 'gives in' to the bugs. Or maybe we are just too busy to be ill during term-time!
    I know what you mean though, its very odd.

3. I honestly think teachers are just as ill during term time but don't notice like they do in the holidays. Well... Some don't notice. The shirkers wait for it with glee.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

On the day we broke up I left school fit and healthy. By the time I went to bed that night I had developed a cold, I think I should get some kind of award for this feat.

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

During the week, I simply didn't let any feelings of illness surface for the reasons I have given. It wasn't really a conscious decision, so my comment was meant to be linked to your original post as to why we do not feel ill during teaching time but succumb very easily outside it. It was not about a guilty conscience or anything like that, but simply the duty to get the job done. I don't think I was alone in this.
    I also think the adrenaline thing was very pertinent to the situation as well. Under stress ( and teaching is STRESS) it is amazing what the body can do!
    Cheers