1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can someone clarify this please...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by 8sycamore, Feb 11, 2019.

1. 8sycamore

8sycamore Occasional commenter

Could someone tell me what they understand to be "an externally assessed unit"?

Is it one topic within a subject, is it the whole of an area e.g. philosophy within the wider R.S spec or is it the previous year's exam paper?

I have to do a presentation on an externally assessed unit of my choice for a job interview. It isn't for a school, and it is being done remotely. I have nobody to contact and ask for clarification.

Any views most gratefully received!

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Externally assessed unit will almost always be an exam marked centrally as opposed to internally assessed units which would be coursework of some form

ATfan, Lara mfl 05 and 576 like this.
  3. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

You need to know the exam board and course specification. Externally assessed units are usually mandatory pieces of course work which are either sent away or, in practical subject, an external assessor will come in to school to assess.

ATfan and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. 8sycamore

8sycamore Occasional commenter

Thanks everyone. I know the exam board and the spec. It is A Level R.S and it is OCR. There is no coursework. There are three exams. I just don't know what they class as a unit...is it one topic within the three areas or the whole of one of the three?

5. parseltongue

parseltongue New commenter

A unit generally refers to one module, which could constitute a whole exam paper, but is more likely a big topic within one exam paper.

ATfan likes this.
  6. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

Then each section of the spec is the unit. If it has its own code, that's a unit.

ATfan, 8sycamore and border_walker like this.