1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can someone advise me on capability procedure?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tigerbaba, Feb 14, 2012.

1. tigerbaba

tigerbaba New commenter

My head has warned me that if my pupils don't make 'required' progress for the tests done just before half term, I may face a capability procedure as the SIA had been pressing my head for a while. Has anyone had any experience of capability procedure? I feel my school hasn't given me enough support and this has come as an absolute shock. If a capability procedure is in its formal stage, then the headteacher can put it on my reference. I just feel like leaving so at least I can do supply. Any advice or suggestions?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The best, and most experienced, people to help you in this difficult situation are your Union, at local or regional level, not the School rep.
    They are the ones who will support you, give you guidance, make the whole horrid thing more bearable.
    So do get on to them first thing tomorrow morning.
    Very best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.comwww.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

3. becky70

becky70 New commenter

Do as Theo says and contact your union. You have to go through the informal stages first before a capability procedure becomes formal - your union will stop your head trying that one on.

4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Hello, I am really sorry this is happening to you. Your HT should be supporting you in being the best teacher you can be and helping pupils learn, not threatening and scaring you.
    I believe a recent change has been that even "informal" capability has to be mentioned on a reference?

5. Theo is correct. Schools have to abide by published, agreed procedures - the unions know these inside out (at regional or county level). They are there to ensure the school abides by the rules - and as heads often bring in HR officers from the LA - it's doubly important - and your entitlement - to be represented. Very few school reps are sufficiently experienced or trained to represent you - so don't be bamboozled into being told that your designated accompanying "friend" has to be a school colleague.

6. tigerbaba

tigerbaba New commenter

Thank you very much Theo. I have already contacted my Union and they will represent my case if I decide to have this with the school. Though I must say the whole thing has run me down so much that I just feel like resigning. At least that way, my options will be more 'open'! Thanks a million.

7. tigerbaba

tigerbaba New commenter

You are absolutely right. Unfortunately my school has a history of getting rid of people in this way. Whoever went to their union, eventually had to resign. I am quite scared. Thank you for your kind advice.

8. tigerbaba

tigerbaba New commenter

Badger girl. In an ideal world, a head should be doing that. I haven't met such a head just as yet. I think these days it is all down to money and not children's or teachers' best interests. I don't know about the 'informal' capability on to a reference yet but I will check it with my union. Thanks again for your kind words.

9. tigerbaba

tigerbaba New commenter

Thanks becky70. I have already contacted the union about this. But psycho-emotionally I just feel like giving up. We will see what God has in mind for me.

10. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

You may find teacher support network helpful for the emotional side.

11. becky70

becky70 New commenter

I'll back up what Torey says about Teacher Support Network - I used them when I was in a similar situation to you and they were very helpful.
    I did resign but that was the right choice for me at that time and I did take some time to think it over as well as discussing it with people who cared about me.
    I won't say don't resign but take some time and make sure it's the right decision for you. Get help from your union first.