1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can Secondary Teachers really teach in Primary

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Munchkin77, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Hi All

I am an NQT in Secondary Business and ICT. During my PGCE year i did some work with young Enterprise in Primary Schools ranging from reception up to Year 6. I have inducted a Y6 class into Secondary school and actually think that i would like to actually teach Primary school.

Is it possible for me to actually teach in Primary? How do you make the step from Secondary to Primary - surely as the lessons ar not split into 5 one hour lessons a day the planning etc is difficult.

Really open to some advice. We will also be moving overseas at the end of this year so would end up teaching in an International primary school if i am so lucky!

Thanks

2. Hi All

I am an NQT in Secondary Business and ICT. During my PGCE year i did some work with young Enterprise in Primary Schools ranging from reception up to Year 6. I have inducted a Y6 class into Secondary school and actually think that i would like to actually teach Primary school.

Is it possible for me to actually teach in Primary? How do you make the step from Secondary to Primary - surely as the lessons ar not split into 5 one hour lessons a day the planning etc is difficult.

Really open to some advice. We will also be moving overseas at the end of this year so would end up teaching in an International primary school if i am so lucky!

Thanks

3. Hello there, bizarrely that is exactly the route I took into Primary. Qualified as Secoindary Business and ICT and after 2 years moved to Primary. Basically I got lucky and just went for some primary jobs and one school liked me enough to give me a shot, although it was the busiest year of my life getting up to scratch and having to teach Years 3 to 6 all together. There are transition courses you can go on I think which last about 6 weeks but you'd have to try local uni's etc. I'd imagine. It is definitely worth going for and yes it is incredibly busy, definitely far busier that I ever was in secondary and of course you have to be thankful for things like PPA which were essentially always there in secondary...anyway that's another story. Basically it can be done even without the transition course so go for it!

4. Thanks Hicksy thats really useful, I am bot really sure where to start with it all. Basically I will be applying to Primary schools in the Middle East so hoping to spend lots of this year looking at Primary stuff and like you hopefully get gven a shot by a school that will like me enough to give me a chance.

Just not really sure what to do! Just feel really disheartened by Secondary and really not enjoying it at all! I am prepared to be busy as long as i am enjoying my job!

Is there anyway you would allow me to email you as it seems very useful that you were in my same secondary subject and everything. If not no worries and no offence taken!

Thanks again x

5. alf

alf

Are you in a position to be able to supply teach? I qualified as secondary many years ago, taught abroad then gave up teaching for 20 years. I then completed a 12 week induction course for primary(one day per week attending course and one day observation in local primary school).
    Then I asked for a TA position in a local school and was asked to supply teach instead. At the end of the year I was offered a full time position. I was able to learn on the job and see how others deal with the planning etc The work is hard, the hours are long and the admin is unending but it is a very rewarding job. good luck!

6. Hi Alf

Right now i am not in a position to supply teach as the aim is to get the NQT year under my belt and then permanently move to the Middle East. It is hopefully in the Middle East that i would be applying for Primary jobs. If all goes to plan and we move to the Middle East then i should be in a position to supply teach or work as a TA etc and generally teachers only stay there for about 5 years so a position could become avaialble.

I just remember a lasy i spoke to whislt working with Young Enterprise who said that she did a Secondary PGCE in French and never taught secndary just started her NQT year as a Year 6 teacher.

Out of curiosity those that made the transition what year do you teach?

Thanks

7. I am a trained secondary English and History (&Drama) teacher and am now Maths Manager and ear 6 teacher AST pending in an Outstanding school - so yes they can and do it very well!
    I'd be happy for you to email me

learnwithtrinity@aol.com

8. alf

alf

On supply I taught every year group. I found that I did not enjoy year 6 as it was very SATS orientated and I seemed to be dealing with lots of 'attitude' from pupils.I now hover between Year 3 and 4.

9. I taught in secondary for 12 years,then went self employed . When my daughter started primary school they a found out that I was teacher and persuaded me to do supply for them for half a day a week to cover for staff to do their planning etc, 14 years later I am still there on a 0.5 contract, but I did do supply at a few chosen schools in my area first to get experience and confidence!

10. Hi juliateacher,
    I've emailed you regarding switching from secondary to primary- hope you don't mind.

Ilando

11. I had to laugh today when a secondary trained teacher came in on supply from an agency to cover a Y5 class. Their science topic was looking at dissolving.

He asked the children, 'What's the difference between water and ethanol?'. Made me smile!!!!

12. Hi Munchkin,

Yeh of course you can e-mail me, sorry for the delay had a busy weekend. It's natcoop@btinternet.com.

13. Ilando can you e mail me the same thing, samstb@yahoo.co.uk, hate to be cheeky but it would be a real help
    sam x

14. hey there everyone,

I am considering either secondary pgce in drama or primary pgce......i just wondered with with a drama pgce what else can i teach @ secondary level? my degree is in performing arts.....and i have alevels in english lit+lanugaue combined, psychology + theatre studies....

i've heard on the grapevine that you can teach anything you have an alevel in...is that true? or should i consider a joint pgce such as drama with english?

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you do a PGCE in drama, would you be able to convince a headteacher that you would be a better candidate for a psychology position than someone who has trained to teach psychology? Likewise English. None of your A-Levels are shortage subjects, so there will be more than enough teachers trained in those subjects to get the posts.

Having said that, drama teaching is unlikely to fill your entire timetable, so a willingness to teach English or psychology would be a good point on an application.

16. thanks for your advice.

in respect of that i may apply for a drama with english pgce so that i can competently teach both...just heard of teachers in secondary teaching other subject they are not officially qualified to teach that's all..

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Definitely you can and people do, especially to fill timetables. But to get the post initially you need to offer what the school wants.