1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can schools do this?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by ScotSEN, Nov 20, 2011.

1. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Schools are in fact entitled to 3 days for a move.
    Having been involved in a move this year I can tell you it not enough time. on the 3 days in question everyone worked far more than their normal hours and had it not been for the fact that some of our nursery nurses work a 52 week contract and were in during the summer holidays I dread to think what kind of a state we would have been in on the first day back.
    As a previous poster says it will be one off and your children will be going into a lovely new school.

2. sbf

sbf New commenter

Oh how i laughed at at one.
    If only parents were as concerned about thier sprogs education as the teaching staff then education would be so much better.
    I loose count at the number of days kids take off for holidays in term time.

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I lose track of the number of kids who take holidays during term-time.
    [​IMG]

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Schools have to seek special permission for this sort of closure - if you're only losing 2 days then you're doing well and a lot is being asked from the staff.

5. Is the OP a wind-up? What could be 'better things to do' than getting a nice shiny new school provided at taxpayers' expense ready for the start of next term?
    School is not a childcare service. The default position should always be that the parents provide childcare unless there is a reason for the child not to be at home. A couple more days for the family to be together over Christmas should not be a hardship.
    Maybe not such a problem in primaries, but as a secondary school teacher I would personally be much happier if parents made their children come to school (as they are legally obliged to) on the last day or two of term, rather than knocking off early. Furthermore, I would be much happier if the children at the end of term turned up dressed in school uniform and in a proper frame of mind, ready to benefit from the education being provided for them, rather than having everyone's time wasted watching videos or playing games.

6. A very 'interesting' set of replies with so many false assumptions:
    1. I am a teacher myself - I spent my holidays moving equipment/resources when my school had major refurbishments
    2. I have never taken my daughter out of school during term time and do not intend to.
    3. I have never been on Mumsnet and have no intention doing so!
    4. I did not ever say that school was a 'babysitting circle' so get your facts right!
    5. My daughter has never 'knocked off early for Christmas'
    Thank you for your professional reply Serendipity - that answered my question. The rest of you - find something better to do with your time than writing 'bitchy ' comments to a simple question!

7. sbf

sbf New commenter

More fool you then.
    Why should the teachers loose their holidays just to ease your babysitting issues?

8. If you have been part of major refurbishment then why are you asking whether a school can close for 2 days?

9. Bridget, if you had asked a simple question you may have got a simple answer. You chose to ramble on about your childcare arrangements and your husband's leave. People therefore gave you their opinions based on what you had written.

10. You should, I think you'd like it there...

11. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I obviously have too long a lunch time cos I just popped on to Mumsnet and read a thread "How to become less involved in PTA" - oh my goodness, the woman writing that is so in love with herself, and I quote "I'm the only middle-class English mother at the gate........wish they'd choose someone not like me......." some of the replies are hilarious, but I'm with Bridget on this one and will not visit Mumsnet again.
    Bridget, as a teacher could you not take your daughter to your school and let her join in with some Christmas learning with you? Sorry, I don't know if you are primary/secondary but this is another option possibly?

12. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Sorry, you've lost me...............honest ignorance on my part, but can you explain?

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I think it was a joke on 2 levels;
    • common spelling mistake it seems on here, the lose/loose thing
    • two many inner hounds being unleashed . . . . . perhaps
    Anyway, I was also under the impression that there were no junior schools in Scotland until yesterday. Tes is advertising a job for the Junior School within Hamilton College . . . . unless of course South Lanarkshire has been drifting south for quite some time.
    *That's me used up my pedantry allowance for the week, in one go [​IMG] *

14. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

A poster was typing "loose" when they meant "lose"... I attempted to humorously correct them... literacy across the curriculum and all that.
    Incidentally, jonowen, I came across this little gem from segbog while looking back at their previous posts (very "stalkery" of me, but I was confused by the individual):
    "Poverty causes mass breeding. I work in one of the poorest areas in the UK, and some the girls are pregnant by the time they are 14/15. All this to get a council house. Young men (boys) also breed like rabbits. It is their right seemingly. Things are so bad, the though of mass sterilisation has crossed my mind. Can't see any other solution."
    There are many other crazy statements from this individual like that on here. Hardly a socilaist conscience that would be perturbed by no union representation? No?
    I'll leave you alone now.