1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can out-of-school incidents be dealt with in school?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by msloops, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Yesterday evening, I was walking home from Sainsburys when I came across a hooded gang of year 8 students from my school. As soon as they saw me they started screaming and shouting and as I walked past they laughed, shouted and screamed at me. Then one of them followed me home, shouting at me. This followed an absolutely awful year 8 lesson yesterday which involved at least 2 of the same students, which I already had a big rant on here about yesterday. The head of yr 8 at my school already yesterday asked my head of department to do something about these boys 'bullying' me in lessons (her word not mine), but not very much has happened with that so far.

Can anything be done in school about these boys harrassing me out of school time, or are they allowed to do whatever they like when they're hanging out on street corners of an evening? Even if nothing can officially be done, might they perhaps deal with yesterday's in-school incidents more harshly taking what's happened out of school into consideration? We have a policeman on site so I might see if he can have a word with the boys.

If nothing official can be done I suppose I can phone their parents and that may have some slight effect, but I'm really hoping I can get them into big trouble and at least get myself a few days of lessons without them...

2. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Think of it this way - what would happen to YOU if you did that to THEM outside school?

3. I'd be arrested...? but they're 12, and I'm 23

4. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Awful; I have huge sympathy for you. This isn't only a school disciplinary matter: it's criminal. Or rather, it's a matter for the police with which the school can assist enormously. Take action yourself; report this to the police and tell them that, with your peers' involvement, you can identify those who have stalked and harassed you.
    I worry that, left by itself, nothing will be done; you need to catalyse this process in case the school is minded to look the other way- which, alas, is the easier option for them. They have a duty of care to you as an employee, and you have the right not to be stalked or intimidated by virtue of your status as a human being.
    Make not mistake: their actions sound criminal; assault is the threat to harm (contrasted with battery, which is physical harm), so in a real sense you have been assaulted. Call the local station, or speak to your school officer. But make a big deal about this because it is. It's tempting, when you;re swamped by bad behaviour, to tacitly accept it, or block it out as a defence mechanism. But if you stand up to these children (dear God, that children should ever assume such adult postures), then you can win. But you're going to have to start the ball rolling yourself.
    I genuinely wish you the best of luck. You deserve much more than what you have been getting.
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/

5. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Exactly. It's harrasment - phone the police.

6. Yes the school can do something about it. I had the misfortune of getting the bus home with a rather delightful child who seriously disliked me last year. She was smoking at the bus stop and blowing smoke in my face and then throwing things at me on the bus. I took this to her HoY the next day. She was dragged in, parents were called andit was dealt with appropriately.
    You have my sympathy - I live in an area where I fairly frequently see former pupils (who were previously current in my old school) who can cause a lot of chaos and abuse. If the school refuses to ask I agree with the other posters - call the police. You can identify who they are, have access to addresses and know where they are 5 days of the week. You wouldn't be expected to put up with this from someone else so do something about it. We need to be standing up to these little s***s rather than just accepting what they throw at us.

Good luck with it.

7. Do not expect one ounce of help from the school.
    Get a lawyer, choose three sets of parents of the group who threatened you, contact them and say if this happens again you will get your lawyer to get a restraining order, all politely.
    Next time, have your mobile phone on hand to film them for evidence.
    Unfortunately you just found out why most people never live where they work.

Do not expect your school to do anything!!!

8. Assault- threats to kill- are just as criminal as actual GBH or worse. Verbal or physical, the law makes no distinction. A stalker will still go to gaol even if he or she has not actually physically assaulted their quarry.

Make sure you are not on Facebook, in the phonebook, don't use Bluetooth in school....

9. YES! That's exactly why I live quite a long way from my school!

10. Thanks for all your responses.
    I didn't expect much...but I've actually been quite impressed! The deputy head interviewed the 3 boys I'd identified and somehow found out from them them the other 3 who were there. Now all six boys have been excluded for 2 days (3 days for the worst 2 offenders). The school policeman spoke to them all this afternoon and if I report it (which I think I will) is going to give them a harrassment warning so if they do it again they can be arrested. Hopefully they'll learn their lesson

11. I know :) I have been left with a very positive imprsesion of the SLT at my school. They could so easily have swept it under the carpet.
    My head of department however is a different story and she has really left me reeling! One of the boys who was involved got his parents in to ask her whether he could move classes. She asked me and I said that I was worried about the message it would send: that if you want to move class (which he made it very clear he did) all you need to do is be rude and abusive. She said that she wouldn't move him until after we'd had a restorative justice session with the safer schools officer. However, she then went and rang the parents up and told them he'd be moved immediately. He doesn't even have to come back into a single lesson of mine. Why bother with RJ now? He doesn't even need to think about what he did or change his behaviour at all. He has got off completely scot free: he got a little holiday from school and now doesn't even need to bother being polite to me as I don't teach him any more. I know it is my head of department's call and I should maybe just be pleased that I don't have to teach the little ratbag ever again, but I am so frustrated that he was allowed to BENEFIT from being an absolute *** to me and get exactly what he watned. The SLT and head of year 8 agree with me but she won't listen to anybody. How very annoying! Whats more, she wants me to put together a pack of all the worksheets he has missed since September to send to him, and she wants them straight away... this is going to take me ages as, unfortunately, I have not quite got round to implementing a proper filing system and I will have to put instructions on some of them and work out what he did and did not complete.... how extremely irritating.

12. Apologies for my typos, not good for an English teacher!

13. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I think you've got an excuse!

14. Argh!I just had my RJ meetings, as predicted this annoying boy had the attitude of "I don't care, I didn't do anything, she's a **** teacher and I don't care because I've been moved now anyway"... what a joke.

15. casper

casper New commenter

Sadly , you now ned to deal with the lack of support from your HOD, then you will see how supportive SLT really are.