1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can NQT's get a teaching job in Dubai? How do you go about it?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lsblack1, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Hi, Im interested in getting a teaching job in Dubai once i qualify. I'm currently undertaking my PGCE (hoping to finish in June). Does anyone know how and if you can get a job as an NQT in Dubai?

Any help i would be extremely grateful for.

2. Hi, Im interested in getting a teaching job in Dubai once i qualify. I'm currently undertaking my PGCE (hoping to finish in June). Does anyone know how and if you can get a job as an NQT in Dubai?

Any help i would be extremely grateful for.

3. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Yes and no. Yes you could get a job but the better schools want 2 years experience at least. And it's best to do the NQT year first in case you want to come back to the UK in the future and work in the state system. Although there is no technical time limit (5 years is mentioned as guidance), it is bets to get a post and be properly qualified IMHO straight away. As I understand it also the best time to apply for a job overseas for Sep 11 was Nov 2010. Also why work overseas? Is that what you planned when starting a PGCE?

4. I'm in my final year of teacher training in Dublin, Ireland and have applied for a job in dubai. It's with an organisation so accommodation etc is paid for. www.***.net is their website and if you send a cover letter along with your CV to the following e-mail they'll reply back and send you their official application form if they feel you are suited.
    Hope this helped.

e-mail: careersgulf@***.net

5. Thank you for this. This is something i have been thinking about doing for a while, not planned before commencing my PGCE however.

Have you experience of working abroad? How did you find it?

6. Hi you can apply and try, but often they do want those who have completed induction and have some experience. That said, if you are successful you cannot complete induction, even in an 'English School' that provides the full NC teaching for expats.
    James

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The most direct route to overseas work is probably still via TEFL qualifications-this does open up a wider range of language schools for business and adults . The majority of overseas jobs advertised tend to be for shortage subject areas and/or experienced teachers and are very, very competitive.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

... and the guidance is no longer to complete Induction within 5 years of starting Induction. That expectation was removed in 2007. You can now take as long as you like, or as long as it takes to complete Induction.
    If you get a teaching job abroad as your first appointment when qualified, you will still have to do Induction when you return to the UK if you want to teach in the State 5-16 sector.

9. Hi

After qualifying as a teacher in the UK I moved straight to Egypt where I was working in a British school in Cairo. I've not completed my NQT year but having grown up abroad, I have no intention of living in the UK so had no need to really think about it. I understand most people recommend you complete your NQT year first...but I'm of the mentality that you should do what you think is going to make you happy and ultimately make your own mind up. I do take the advice on board though, and if you are considering teaching in the UK in the future, it's probably a good idea to get your NQT year done within the first couple of years or so.

I had a fantastic time in Egypt but felt that I had to leave after the recent political uprising. I don't think I'm going to consider going back to the Middle East as I just don't see it as a safe region to be in at the moment.

International experience can only enhance your CV, and if you're a good teacher, NQT or not, you'll always find a job somewhere :) I don't buy the argument that, if you teach for 5 years in International schools abroad, that schools will dismiss your application because you didn't complete your NQT year.

10. Hi, Please could u send me the email/website of the company you have seen that allow NQTs to work in Dubai?
    my email is natti_wrigs@hotmail.co.uk

11. Hi can you tell me which organisation you went through which enabled NQTs? I want to teach in Dubai!!!

12. Hi, Please can you tell me the company that allows NQTs to teach in Dubai.

That would be fab!!!

13. Hi, I have been looking into this also as I want to teach in Dubai and complete my NQT year next year too. I have gone to an interview for a British curriculum school in Dubai. They are hoping to offer the NQT year in their school in the next year of two as they wish to encourage english speaking trained teachers to work in their school. The school in question currently has a large number of staff from England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. The Scottish head teacher spoke very enthusiastically about NQT in her school and appeared to be in contact with the organisation that will be responsible for the training to offer the NQT year in that school.

I have taught for two years previous to starting my PGCE primary (which I hope to complete in June in London) in an international school in Dubai.

Hope this is of some help.

14. Hi

I would also like the name of the school that take NQTS...WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL

15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The following is from the UK government website re Induction abroad:
    <a id="faq14" name="faq14" class="tocAnchor">[/URL] Can I serve my induction period in a British school abroad? From 1 September 2012 it would be possible to serve induction in British schools abroad providing that the school is a member of an organisation which the Secretary of State has approved as suitable to represent British schools abroad and that the school has been inspected within the last six years by an inspectorate accredited by the Secretary of State which has confirmed that the school complies with the standards for independent schools overseas issued by the Secretary of State.
    http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/leadership/deployingstaff/newstaff/a00213267/changes-to-induction#faq14
    http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/leadership/deployingstaff/newstaff/b0066959/nqt-induction/induction-newly-qualified-teachers

16. Hi, could you send me a message with email and address of the company? Have you completed a year in Dubai now? I'm really interested in working in Dubai And it would be good to get a recommendation of a good school.

Thanks
    Emma

17. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Dear Emma,
    How does one distinguish between a "good" school and a "bad" school? What are your criteria? Most schools in Dubai are businesses first and educational establishments second, so do you really think that you will find it easy to make this distinction? What reliable information is available?
    The Hippo

18. Hiya can you please give me the details for dubai here as it is blocked. Thanks

19. Hi

I am interested in teaching in Dubai but have also heard some horror stories. I wanted to know if anyone knows of any schools which they would recommend to work for in Dubai. I get emails all the time and check on TES for jobs but don't want to make that jump and agree to work in a school and then find out accommodation is bad or the school is a shambles.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I only have a years experience in a school.

20. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I am not an NQT and I do not normally post anything on this forum. However, Mrs Hippo and I have been teaching in international schools since 1998, mostly in the Middle East. I hope that I can give an informed opinion to the OP's original question about NQTs in Dubai.
    Yes, of course it is possible for NQTs to get teaching jobs in Dubai, as they do in other places in the ME. (I am currently in Qatar and my present school has employed quite a few.) Therefore the question is not "yes" or "no", but whether or not this is really a good idea. On the other hand, some NQTs might not be able to get a job in the UK at the moment and so for them it might be a choice between teaching overseas or being unemployed in the UK. (Not much of a choice, really.)
    Although loads of young teachers flock there every year, Dubai is not everyone's cup of tea. There was an interesting article in The Independent a year or two ago, The Dark Side of Dubai, that painted a rather negative picture. The TES also had a not-so-rosy piece about the downsides of teaching in the Middle East and it was called Sun, Sea and Cockroaches. I would say that the cost of living in Dubai is higher than in most other places in the ME, while teachers' salaries tend to be lower because Dubai is such a popular place to be for those in their 20s and 30s. Schools in Dubai, as elesewhere in the region, tend to be money-making businesses first and foremost, while education usually comes a poor second.
    A lot of nonsense has been written about "tax-free" salaries. Any good accountant will tell you that your salary will only be exempt from Income Tax if you have become "non-resident for the purposes of taxation". The process of becoming non-resident is not as simple and as straightforward as it used to be. If you are still officially resident in the UK, then any money you earn, whether in Dubai or anywhere else, will be subject to UK taxation. Having a chat with a good accountant or your local taxman is definitely something I would recommend to anyone who is thinking of working in the Middle East, otherwise you may find yourself with a big bill from the Great British Taxman when you return to the UK.
    If you want to get your induction year done properly, then there are some COBIS schools where, in theory, this might be possible. However, you should be aware that there are relatively few COBIS schools in the ME and not all of them are keen on employing NQTs. I think that you will find that those COBIS schools that do offer the proper induction year only take on a few NQTs.
    Opinion is divided on the subject of The International Schools' Review. Some people think that it is a helpful, informative and detailed compendium of school reviews, all written by teachers who have actually taught in these schools. However, others think that it is all a lot of inaccurate, unreliable, exaggerated, scandal-mongering and slanderous half-truths. As I have written several ISR reviews, I am a little bit biased.
    Last but by no means least, most good international schools have already completed their recruiting for the 2013-2014 academic year. (The recruiting season for international schools starts much earlier than in the UK.) Good international schools have only a slow rate of staff turnover each year, whereas the bad ones have a much higher rate and so have more vacancies. This means that it is only the rubbishy ones that are still trying to recruit teachers for September. The schools that make a habit of recruiting lots of NQTs are usually the trashy ones. (NQTs are cheaper and easily bulllied.)