1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can no longer do this job

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ET1984, Nov 22, 2019.

1. ET1984

ET1984 New commenter

I posted earlier on in the year and things have not improved. The school I am in had a bad Ofsted and ever since the pressure has been piled on. Lack of support from SLT with behaviour, expectations changing every week and another new piece of paperwork always appearing. I’ve taught for 13 years but I can’t do anymore. I’ve written my resignation and am leaving at Easter. No real point to this post, just wanted to share my relief and also sadness. I have nothing else lined up but am looking forward to having my life back and spending time with my young son. Good luck to everyone else in a similar situation.

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Good for you! Enjoy the time with your son and good luck for the future.

3. menhir

menhir New commenter

Didn’t want to read and go. Wishing you the best, now you have made that decision - the relief will be immense. Life is too short to be miserable in your job. Yes it is a job, not your life! There is a big world out there and things have a way of turning out for the best. You are a trained professional with a wealth of skills and qualities that will hold you in good stead. Be brave and enjoy these precious days with your son.

ET67, jlishman2158, steely1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Good luck in making a brave, but sensible change of direction. Hope it works out well for you.

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

You've done the best thing. well done, don't be sad, be glad. Keep posting and let us know how you are and what you are up to. x

jlishman2158, pepper5 and Curae like this.
  6. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

There is a point to your post a significant one. You have worked hard for 13 years in a profession that has not been easy. You would have thought long and hard to make a decision to leave. You looked for advice right here on WPD. Ok so things are not better but absolutely you should want to improve your life and move away and for that i congratulate you. Obviously if you do decide to return to teaching that will be a choice. As already said don't be sad be glad and thank you for working so hard in our ever so increasingly challenging profession.
    Never say never but enjoy your time with your son ...how quickly they grow up !

7. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

You say you've written your resignation. It doesn't sound like you've submitted it yet. Are you posting now to seek reassurance that you are doing the right thing? If so this shows that you have doubts. There is no point in submitting your resignation this early. You don't need to submit it til the end of February in most schools which gives you time to see if you can do anything about the situation and to see if anything will change.
    Have you phoned your Union?
    Have you spoken to the Head or your manager about how you are feeling and asked for support?
    To walk away without another job to go to is a big thing to do. I would imagine that you are feeling very stressed and so should not be making such a huge decision in such circumstances. Have you been to your GP? If not I really feel you should.
    I know that sometimes it seems like the only option is to leave but how will you feel once you've left? Leaving under these circumstances doesn't bring instant happiness the day you walk out of the door. You will have no job, no income - will you feel anger and resentment at being essentially forced out? Would it be wiser to see your GP and also speak to your Union before resigning?

jlishman2158 and demifrog like this.
  8. ET1984

ET1984 New commenter

Thanks for your replies.
    I have written it and intend to hand it in next next week to give the head as much time as possible to find a replacement.
    I went to the doctors in July and they suggested signing me off or taking anti depressants, I opted for counselling first.
    I have a lot of stress in my personal life, a toddler with a disability and a terminally ill mother who relies on me a lot.
    I get very little enjoyment out of my job now and it’s starting to impact on my home life. For me it is the right decision but it’s still not an easy one to make. I only teach part time and am not on UPS so I don’t earn lots. Thanks for all the kind words of support.

9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

It sounds as if this is the right decision for you, and for this time in your life. Well done, it can't have been an easy one to make.
    Good luck.

10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Teaching will always be there- you can go back later when and if you want to.

There are a lot of opportunities outside teaching - you will be absolutely fine and will enjoy being out of it to recover.

All the very best for your new ventures.

minacharm, Curae, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

It seems you have enough on your plate with things outside of school without all the hassle that a current teaching job brings even if it is part time. For many SLT part time means you have more time at home to do school work. There is no doubt that you have greater priorities than all the trivia and inconsequential nonsense that goes on in schools these days. Devote your time to supporting and comforting the woman who gave you life and your child for whom you are the most important person in the world. You're doing the right thing for you and your family at this time. Every best wish.

agathamorse and jlishman2158 like this.
  12. ET1984

ET1984 New commenter

Thank you for the kind replies, they mean a lot to me. I’ve tried to soldier on but I feel like something has to give. It’s a bit of a bitter sweet feeling. I know I am escaping a job which is having a negative impact on me but I can’t help but feel sad. Thank you everyone for the words of reassurance.

Curae, agathamorse and steely1 like this.
  13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Just one point-
    I see you've made a good decision to leave
    but
    you state you want to leave at Easter.
    Is there no way you can hang on until the end of the academic year?
    There are multiple benefits-
    you will be paid for your Summer holidays-that's a pretty good deal in proportion to the addtional, say, six or seven weeks you need to be there.
    The weather is better in that term. Kids are out and about. You get more daylight to boost your mood before and after school.
    You can write off the last week as "exciting stuff"
    You can write off the second last week as "pre exciting stuff"
    You can write off the third last week as "school distracted by planning exciting stuff"
    Do you see where this is going?
    The benefit of staying a bit longer versus the input required from you is huge.
    Additionally if you leave at end of summer term, you are employed right up until the end of August, meaning your CV looks better. Leaving at Easter is fine but raises questions,especially if, say, you need to turn to Supply for some interim bread and butter. Many teachers who get fed up in their role resign thinking "that's it" and then after some respite enojy the option of supply.
    Also, if you do need to do supply, you probably wont get any until September, so if you leave at Easter there's a long gap to wonder about money coming in.

Presumably you've thought of some/all of these things, but I wanted to put them out there anyway because of the potential of leaving at Easter being a "kick yourself" scenario a few weeks later.

14. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

Absolutely no way you can continue in a school or any workplace like this. No support with poor behaviour makes my blood boil the most out of anything. Criminal that 'leadership' can get away with this.

agathamorse and jlishman2158 like this.
  15. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

ET1994. I realise now you have additional stresses outside of work but I cannot see why you want to give the head extra time to replace you. Why are you not putting yourself first rather than a school which appears to have done little to support you? I don't mean to sound harsh ET 1994 but like Progressnerd it makes me angry to see what is done to teachers.
    Good luck. I hope you feel better soon and find your way.

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  16. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

Poor you. It sounds like you have a lot to cope with at the moment. If you can afford it then go for it. You can then have some quality time with your family. Its always a job you can go back to if you feel ready for it and there are other jobs out there. They might not pay as much especially at the start but work life balance is far more achievable in other lines of work. Good luck with whatever you decide.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  17. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

It definitely sounds as though you have made the right decision to escape from your present toxic environment - and it will be lovely to have time to spend with your son. But you have clearly had many good years in teaching, so don't give up on it totally. Look around, there may be something part-time at a good school near you - they still do exist! Go for an informal visit and see how you feel. The beginning of the summer term, when you've left your present post, will be a good time for this. Very best of luck.

jlishman2158 and Curae like this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Good luck - definitely the right decision.

Are you sure you want to hang on to Easter though - it's a long way off yet.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Your original post highlights many of the reasons that many of us are ambivalent (at best) about the benefits of Ofsted. We all agree that struggling schools need support, but all too often the "support" is targeted at systems and generates a whole manure heap of compliance related paperwork.
    Sorry you're in this place. It sounds as if you're doing the right thing. In ten years time, the support you gave your family will probably be more important than filling in paperwork for a leadership team who wouldn't pay the team back with support for behaviour. (Even though good behaviour is probably the key change needed to improve the children's learning. )

jlishman2158 and Curae like this.
  20. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Well done for taking control. I am sure you will find you will be relieved once you leave. There is a world out there with lots of possibilities.

jlishman2158, Curae and Shedman like this.