1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can my school fire me?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by chriszwinter1, Jan 22, 2012.

1. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

In order:
    No, it's not that simple. Might be nice if your deputy head and HoD gave you some support, to which you are entitled, instead of sitting in judgement of you. And remember, the school grade is unsatisfactory. In my opinion, that means the management is unsatisfactory and is therefore not fit to sit in judgement of anyone else.
    No, why should you?
    Yes, and make sure it is someone who has had the relevant training.

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

As above really.
    As an NQT you should be getting more support.
    And the union is definitely a good idea - just so you know where you stand.
    Good luck.

3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

As an NQT, what your situation is showing is a complete lack of support from your mentor-remember, the school is given money to mentor you and see you throught to a successful NQT period.
    Is your HoF your mentor? If not, go to your mentor, explain the situation and 'book' time with them so that they can mentor you!! This would be the first step in your 4 week strategy. Email this information to your HoF and HT.
    If you HoF is your mentor, I'd be inclined to do exactly the same. If they refuse you any time, email the HT stating the facts of the situation.
    You are not going to learn by osmosis, but by being guided through examples of good practice and observing good practice. Have you observed the HoF yet? If not, suggest it to them.

4. As an NQT, you're not supposed to be graded according to OFSTED criteria. Instead, your observation is supposed to be for developmental purposes. Also, the OFSTED handbook states quite clearly that an inspection observation is NOT supposed to be used for performance management.
    Contact the following people immediately:

1. Your Union Rep.

2. The NQT induction tutor/your mentor.

The LA co-ordinator

Good luck!