1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can my maternity cover make changes to my schemes of work for my return?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by googlechops, Feb 12, 2020.

1. googlechops

googlechops New commenter

I’m a head of department on maternity leave. My maternity cover (current second in department) has stepped up to head of department and is making lots of changes in my absence. Should he be doing this? Do I have the right to step in and stop this
    even thought I’m on maternity leave? He’s well meaning but his decisions haven’t been thought through.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You are not currently HoD. He is. So yes he can make changes and no you don't have a right of veto.

3. googlechops

Suppose they could always be changed when I return.

install and Rott Weiler like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Yes. And you can change it all back on your return. Let them take full accountability and see what happens.

You use the word 'my schemes' which makes you sound slightly possessive. I would expect a good teacher/leader to make changes to any schemes they have to roll out and teach.

Enjoy your maternity. Switch off from work.

Rott Weiler and TheoGriff like this.
  5. googlechops

Very true. Thank you for the perspective. Maybe I’m overthinking it. We both went for the HoD job and I got it as an external candidate. A lot needed to be changed and results went up but that was a result of teamwork. Definitely time to switch off, you’re right to say the accountability is his.

6. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

If it were me I'd find it hard to keep out of it! It depends on the nature of the changes, but if it were things that would be difficult to change back but you have a good reason for (e.g. Exam boards, which year topics are studied in ks3) then maybe you could discreetly talk to your/their line manager and try to get them to tactfully suggest caution? It may be best left though, depending on the line manager. If it's minor changes or adding resources, etc, then it's not worth rocking the boat over.

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I would have thought that the responsibility here also lies with their line manager. I would have thought that where someone is "acting up" during maternity leave or similar, any changes ought to be run past the line manager. The line manager can then make sure that they make their case for any changes, and perhaps suggest waiting for your return if they think that would be better, particularly if they sense a power struggle. Obviously some decisions have to be made in your absence.

If you think the line manager might not be monitoring, perhaps drop them an email along the lines of "I gather there's been some discussion of <major change>. I'm sure you're making sure that any changes are fully thought through, and reflect our general strategy for the department, but just to let you know that if you'd like my perspective on any change of direction, I'm quite happy to use a KIT day/have a telephone conversation. Otherwise I'll leave everything in the capable hands of you and Mr SiD."

And then just leave it - because, as Rott Weiler says, you are not in charge at the moment.