1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can my maternity cover make changes to my schemes of work for my return?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by googlechops, Feb 12, 2020.

1. googlechops

googlechops New commenter

Just as it reads. I’m on maternity. My maternity cover has stepped up to head of department and is making lots of changes in my absence. Should he be doing this? Do I have the right to step in and stop this
    even thought I’m on maternity?

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

No

3. googlechops

Thanks for the reply. Is your answer based on experience of being told not to?

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Your maternity cover is doing the job they are being paid and employed to do. I'm afraid I don't see the problem. Potentially they are improving on the foundations you have built; you can't tell whether that's the case and you are not in a position to judge.

5. googlechops

Very true. Thank you for the perspective. Maybe I’m overthinking it. We both went for the HoD job and I got it as an external candidate. Maybe I’m seeing things that aren’t there.

6. install

install Star commenter

You sound a little insecure and seem to fear that the person stepping in might do a better job ? Let go. Prove you are better by allowing them to do the job they are paid to do. On your return thank them for stepping up and work as a team, not enemies.

And enjoy your maternity. Forget work. You are creating a new world for your baby - which is far more precious, far more worthwhile, and far more special.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

How do you know what changes they are making or not? How have you got the faintest idea what is going on? Sounds like gossiping to me!

You will be off for 2-3 terms and the cover is HOD for that time. Of course they will make changes if they wish...it's their job, for now. You can always change things back on your return if you wish. It is unreasonable to expect everyone to do what you would do in the way you would do them when you are off for the best part of a year and no one knows if you will actually return.

border_walker and Flanks like this.
  8. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Yes, he is within his right as he has been appointed as interim HoD in your absence- my advice to you would be to let him make his changes and do his job, and then meet with him before you return to discuss what he has done.
    In education, a lot does change in a year.

border_walker likes this.