1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can my boss ask me to write reports even though I'm signed off work.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lynseygreen, Jun 28, 2017.

1. lynseygreen

lynseygreen New commenter

I have just had a Hysterectomy and have had no contact with my school until today. I popped by the school to drop something off and when I got home my boss had emailed me asking for my school reports. Not once have they asked how I am just or anything but just asking for my reports which are due next week. I had my operation on the 6th of June and am signed off till the 31st July, all my paper work is at school with my notes in for my reports, can she make me do these? I start a new job in September at a different school and when I handed my notice in they gave all of my time table with the exception of 4 lessons to a trainee but now she is asking me to complete form tutor and subject reports while off sick.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

No.

You are signed off. Most schools would not give out 'subject' reports, but might well say something like:

'There are no reports in xxxx [subject] due to YYYY [teacher's] long term absence'.

And the FT reports will need to be done by the HoY.

So 'Just say 'No''

3. MissMinton

MissMinton New commenter

100% NO. Not cool. You are signed off.

Pomz likes this.
  4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Just ignore the email.

Pomz, MacGuyver and Compassman like this.
  5. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

I agree! You are not obliged to write these reports. It might be to your advantage to send a politely worded email indicating that you are still recovering and not well enough to work but with a bullet point list of where information can be found to write reports (assuming you can do such a list in the space of a couple of minutes).
    In cases where someone has been signed off work with for example a lost voice / broken leg and if they are able and willing to do reports, they might choose to. This clearly isn't the situation for you: you have had a significant operation and if you aren't well enough to do this work, the school cannot fault you for it. Assuming all the data is there, it would be very easy for the trainee to write some (perhaps slightly generic) reports.

1 person likes this.
  6. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Of course not.

Politely reply that you are signed off sick and therefore are not working

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Definitely not. You are not well enough to work, therefore can't work.

Either answer yourself or get your union to do so on your behalf.
    Just say something like "I'm terribly sorry but having just had major surgery I am not up to working and therefore will not be writing reports or doing any other work until the doctor believes I am well enough to do so."

Problem is, by going in to work, you do give the impression you are thinking about work, are up and about, not really ill and so could feasibly be asked to write reports. However it is still an unreasonable request.

Hopefully you have all your personal possessions at home and so do not need to go in to school or see anyone at all.

sabrinakat likes this.
  8. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

No you shouldn't do reports although as has been stated if you 'pop in' they may assume you are of the 'I know I am signed off so can't come in and teach but can do other stuff' brigade. You need to put them straight here!

Anonymity likes this.
  9. lynseygreen

lynseygreen New commenter

Thank you so much for the responses, they have also asked me to attend a rewards day next week to but I have not responded. I did not make a specific trip to the school and was passing and had to drop something off which was a students and as I am leaving I wanted to make sure the student received it.

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'd reply by email (or even 'snail mail') - not phone - saying as outlined above that you are signed off, unable to attend the rewards evening and also unable to complete any school work.

You cold add, if you wish, a comment making it clear that this is 'goodbye' - e.g.

'I am sorry that the timing of my operation and recovery time makes it impossible for me to return before the end of term to say goodbye to my colleagues, but please pass on my best wishes to all staff members, teaching and non-teaching'...

Makes it clear they won't be seeing you again!

knitone likes this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

No. Nothing. Do. Nothing.

31st July. That's it. Over. Finished.

Pomz and wanet like this.
  12. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Occasional commenter

No.

No.

Certainly bloody not.

No.

That's.... no.

Don't do a thing. You are off work on the instruction of a medical professional. Endastory.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  13. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

Email as recommended above and let the union know what has happened, they don't need to get involved but if it persists they may need to and you don't have to spend time filling them in.

14. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Keep it short and polite. Just say, No, because you are signed off sick and recovering from an operation' and refer them to the detailed notes you have already passed on. Then say it's been a pleasure working at the school and email it. Maximum three sentences.

15. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I notice the school is emailing you. Are you one of these much-maligned heroes who keeps logging on to the school email? If so I think you deserve all you get.

If you have given your personal email then I suppose you can't change that but at least automatically shunt any into a junk folder.

16. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

No!
    You could say "As I am signed off from work I am unable to complete, but you can find my notes in ____ in the classroom" if you wish to be helpful.

17. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I wouldn't even bother responding.

It you're signed off from all work, the includes sending work emails.

Don't see a need for union - Just do nothing.:)

les25paul likes this.
  18. michael83

michael83 New commenter

No!