1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can Level 2 TA take pupils off-site to sports activity?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by melemel, Sep 12, 2015.

1. I am a Level 2 TA and have worked in my school for 4 years. I have been asked to take a Y6 class to a local organised sporting event WITHOUT a teacher. There will be 3 TAs and I will be the 'lead' TA. Is this request acceptable?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

TAs do take classes on trips. I have regularly done this (as an HLTA) and Level 3 TAs also take children out at our school. You are clearly a trusted member of staff, and there will be 3 adults with the class. You will definitely need mobile phone contact with the school, and a 'back up plan' if needed - i.e. someone who could drive to the event and collect any child who, for whatever reason, needed to go back to school. That said, if you are happy to take the children and confident with all the arrangements, I don't think there is a problem.

If you do take them and the trip goes well, you should definitely add it to your professional development file and discuss a promotion at your next review ............!

3. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

Sorry to be the negative responder! I wouldn't want to be responsible for the whole class out of school (even as a L3 TA with 18 years TAing experience ). Can I ask, where is the class teacher during this sporting event?

I think the class teacher should be with the class, though in your position, it might be difficult to say no to the request.

So much pressure on TAs to take on more and more responsibility whilst being paid at the lowest level possible!

Rant over!!

[​IMG]

lshepherd4 likes this.
  4. It is the class teacher's PPA time so she will be staying in school. (it's not actually the class I usually work in). I am not comfortable with it but it is tricky not to do what you're asked.

5. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

I agree it is tricky to say no and I wouldn't be comfortable with the arrangement either, especially as it not your usual class. How many children will you be responsible for?

6. Belle60_3

Belle60_3 New commenter

If you feel uncomfortable, then you really should say so - they can't force you to do it. I wouldn't be happy doing it and would think of the responsibility loaded onto me. I would ask myself what would be the consequences if anything happened to one of the kids? You could find yourself facing litigation. You are not paid enough to take that kind responsibility on and it's very bad of the school to ask it of you. Teachers are paid to do this and they are paid to visit the site to complete a risk assessment before any trips take place too. Have you been asked to make a visit beforehand? You should look at the school's policy and procedures for trips and make sure the school is following it to the letter. I think you'll find that they are not.

7. Thanks for the advice everyone, I might try to bring this up with my headteacher.

8. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I really do understand where everyone is coming from with this. When I, or any other adult, takes children on a trip, it only happens if the person is happy to do so. The TA always makes a pre-visit and (with support from the class teacher) completes a risk assessment. TAs would only take groups of children on 'local area' trips and there are always enough adults to cover any emergencies.

I know it can be very tricky to say no sometimes - I hope you get it sorted out.